H11SSL-NC: IPMI Firmware update question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cgsmith

Sep 22, 2022
I noticed that there was a new BIOS and BMC firmware available so I figured I'd get to updating. On the BMC download page there's a pretty ominous "Important Note":

Please note that IPMI firmware version v1.52.21 or newer is with the key signed. Once you upgrade to this firmware version, the device cannot rollback to the previous un-signed IPMI firmware.

I'm pretty new to SM so I'm not exactly sure what this is warning me of (I purchased the board from ebay and the BMC was already activated). Is this going to break anything or require me to re-enter the License Key?

Thanks!

Hmmm. Based on what I read here, I think they're just saying that I wouldn't be able to downgrade to a previous unsigned version; the description was a little easier for me to comprehend.

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
it is for platform security reasons.
for some BIOS this can be happen too. if you need older BIOS after update, you are out (or use soldering iron)

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
I noticed that there was a new BIOS and BMC firmware available so I figured I'd get to updating. On the BMC download page there's a pretty ominous "Important Note":

Please note that IPMI firmware version v1.52.21 or newer is with the key signed. Once you upgrade to this firmware version, the device cannot rollback to the previous un-signed IPMI firmware.

I'm pretty new to SM so I'm not exactly sure what this is warning me of (I purchased the board from ebay and the BMC was already activated). Is this going to break anything or require me to re-enter the License Key?

Thanks!

Hmmm. Based on what I read here, I think they're just saying that I wouldn't be able to downgrade to a previous unsigned version; the description was a little easier for me to comprehend.
For supermicro, there is no License key for BMC other than the BIOS update or on the newer boards the WEB-ISO.

This notice means once you upgrade past the 1.52.21 it won't allow you to rollback since the older BMC is un-signed.

Reactions: cgsmith

cgsmith

Sep 22, 2022
it is for platform security reasons...
Understood and thanks for the reply!

The wording of the "Important Note" on the BMC page was just a little peculiar to me. Makes much more sense now.

I DID have a scary moment after the upgrade where none of the sensors were reporting (all showed as N/A; fans were all spinning fast & loud) even after several reboots/resets. Totally removing power and booting back up brought everything back.

Thanks again!