Gigabyte MJ11-EC1 EPYC 3151 Mystery

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Good to know, thanks.

Do you know if it's possible to use the two different M.2 at the same time, or only one port is working ? (Likely due to the no PCIe bifurcation)
This adapter offers one M.2 PCIE (NVME) slot for a M.2 NVME SSD. The other port offers SATA if plugged to one of your onboard Sata Ports. So you can run an additional M.2 SATA SSD. Kinda weird design.

Th0mas51

Apr 4, 2024
This adapter offers one M.2 PCIE (NVME) slot for a M.2 NVME SSD. The other port offers SATA if plugged to one of your onboard Sata Ports. So you can run an additional M.2 SATA SSD. Kinda weird design.
Ah, interesting, indeed. I will order it to do some testing.

My needs are mostly having at least 2x M.2 PCIE ports (including the one one the motherboard), but I can have an extra M.2 SATA for the boot drive, that's taking less space than a 2.5" SATA SSD.

I would use them for:
- [onboard] one M.2 PCIE NVME to connect a 2.5 GbE Network card
- [on the adapter] one M.2 SATA to connect an SDD for TrueNAS boot drive
- [on the adapter] one M.2 PCIE NVME to connect an SDD for ZFS caching

So that should do the trick for me.

Last edited:

c63

Feb 25, 2024
I am a bit puzzled, when it comes to this adapter. The board, using this adapter, does not recognize all NVMe SSDs, even if they are recognized perfectly fine on the standard M.2 port.

A plain consumer crucial P.2 2280:

- Works in the M.2 port
- Works with the M.2 -> M.2 22110 extension adapter (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0BDYJVQ18)
- Works with the suggested SL_SAS -> M.2 adapter (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09FJW5NDG)

Now I tried the same with my targeted prosumer Samsung PM983 M.2 22110 (i tested it also with a PM9A3, same behavior):

- Works with the M.2 -> M.2 22110 extension adapter (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0BDYJVQ18)
- DOES NOT work with the suggested SL_SAS -> M.2 adapter (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09FJW5NDG)

Does someone eventually have an idea why that SSD is recognized perfectly fine in the M.2 port using the extension to fit a 22110, but is not recognized in that adapter for the SL_SAS? That adapter is working, since it properly recognized the curcial P2.

Grinchy

Apr 7, 2024
I just can't get Ram working reliable on this Board :-(

Just bought 4x Samsung M393A4K40BB1 (32Gb) Sticks to use with TrueNAS.

Using 4 Sticks it showed me only 64Gb instead of 128GB (only Slot B0/B1). Using 3 Sticks, one time 96Gb worked and after putting in the 4th it was back to 64Gb. Now I can't even get 96Gb to run with the same Stick and Settings as before when it worked ...

This is pure chaos ... for example using A1 and B1 and it works at first, but after putting one more Stick into B0 it will Stop using A1 and only B0/B1.

Now I've put in 3 Sticks and it will show only 1 of those ...

Is there any kind of magic you need to know to get this working?!

Also, i can't get it to use my 933MHz. In the BIOS it shows me 2133MHz although setting it to the recommended 933MHz for 128Gb.

Last edited:

etorix

Sep 28, 2021
Using more than 1 DIMM per channel drops speed to 2133 MHz. The board is probably best used with 2 DIIMMs only.

h0schi

Oct 24, 2020
Germany
Good to know, thanks.

Do you know if it's possible to use the two different M.2 at the same time, or only one port is working ? (Likely due to the no PCIe bifurcation)
Yes that‘s possible, because one M.2 is connected via SATA and the second via PCIe.

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
Have you every figured this out? Stuck with the same issue and so far unwilling to buy four new RAM sticks...
Yes sort-of but I think its not the solution you were looking for.

I bought some Samsung M393A2K40BB1-CRC0Q DIMMs which are 16gb 1Rx4 2400MT and they work perfectly but are not on the QVL. These are 1Rx4 instead of the 2Rx8 DIMMs I bought which were on the QVL. It even lowers the clockspeed to 2133, instead of 2400 with 2, when I installed 4 DIMMs. I think its a ram training issue, the DIMMs I used before were on the QVL so either its completely wrong or I need to find the settings that work with those DIMMs. There weird thing about it all that once in a while they booted without issues, but after a single reboot it wouldnt work anymore.

So for anyone looking to buy this board and is looking for memory, dont trust the QVL, look for DIMMs that people verify working.

Th0mas51

Apr 4, 2024
Today I received the 2x motherboard I ordered.

Since I want to replace the CPU cooling by something that has a total height of maximum 40mm, I've started to investigate and measure things.

I'm attaching an image with the measurement.

The CPU holes spacing is a 60 mm x 60 mm square, which is extremely rare, so that's going to be a pain to find a way to replace the CPU cooling.

Here is the information I found so far:

• That's an AMD motherboard but it does not respect the usual rectangular holes spacing of AMD sockets (it's more like Intel, which usually uses square holes spacing for the CPU mount)
  • There are couple of other embedded systems that very likely uses the same square holes spacing
    • SuperMicro M11SDV-8C (and +-LN4F): some uses passive cooling, some use fan, but the holes spacing is also 60x60 mm
    • ASRock Rack EPYC3251D4I-2T: Passive cooling, holes spacing 60x60 mm
  • The closest heatsink/setups that could be converted to become compatible is the ID-Cooling is-27i, but it will require drilling new holes in the mounting bracket
If anyone has some idea about what we could replace the CPU cooing system by something more compact (and possibly more efficient), please let me know :)

Edit: It seems like there's a thread about that: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/epyc-3251-thermal-paste-replacement.24121
Edit2: It looks like it should be possible to generate a 3d model that could be used to adapt some coolers, see this page
Edit3: Maybe the ID-Cooling is-27i could do the trick, but it will require drilling new holes

Attachments

Last edited:

joer34

Nov 8, 2023
Hi guys, do we have any post inside this topic that lists proper parts one needs to order to have 10G nic and other hw fully working? My plan is to go for single or dual 10G, either sfp+ or rj45. Truenas would be OS of choice

Th0mas51

Apr 4, 2024
For those interested, I just ran a CPU benchmark and then a 15 minutes stress test using CPU-Z.

I'm running with hyper-threading enabled in the bios (so 8 threads), 2x8 GB of Ram, Windows 10 on a USB disk, and using the stock cooler but with new thermal paste.

The results are visible here: AMD EPYC @ 2898.29 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR

According to Core Temp, the max temperature was 50°C and the power consumption of the CPU was 29.7 W.

Attachments

Grinchy

Apr 7, 2024
For those interested, I just ran a CPU benchmark and then a 15 minutes stress test using CPU-Z.

I'm running with hyper-threading enabled in the bios (so 8 threads), 2x8 GB of Ram, Windows 10 on a USB disk, and using the stock cooler but with new thermal paste.
How did you apply the thermal paste? The original thermal paste is applied all over the cooler, but the CPU itself is really small.

Th0mas51

Apr 4, 2024
Has anyone tried and was successful in removing the CPU backplate ?

I had a look but it look glued, so I'm a bit scared to use force to remove it.

I'm still investigating CPU cooler replacement, and being able to remove and/or replace the backplate could help to find a way to replace the cooler.

backplate.jpg

Grinchy

Apr 7, 2024
Would this be possible using SSH into the IPMI? Or do you need this special adapter and plug it into the Board?

Only if you have an old version of the BMC firmware . I had that on my first board and could set a password for sysadmin under the maintenance tab in the BMC GUI. When I upgraded that functionality was gone and SSH access for sysadmin is not possible. Any other user is meaningless as you just get a prompt where you can do nothing!

It is not difficult to get the serial to JTAG working. When you are at that prompt you can log in with sysadmin. There you can create another root user and SSH into that

Peter
I‘ve got my hands on an second board with older firmware and was able to log in as sysadmin via SSH.

Is there any way to preserve sysadmin or an newly created root user for updating the firmware?

Login in with SSH would be great, but the original firmware is really old In terms of Security Updates.

Also, will the change of the modelname (for full fan support) remain after updating the firmware?

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
I‘ve got my hands on an second board with older firmware and was able to log in as sysadmin via SSH.

Is there any way to preserve sysadmin or an newly created root user for updating the firmware?

Login in with SSH would be great, but the original firmware is really old In terms of Security Updates.

Also, will the change of the modelname (for full fan support) remain after updating the firmware?
You can not preserve the sysadmin ssh login after an update to newer BMC version. At every reboot of the BMC, the ssh server config will be modified to prevent sysadmin access. And the script that modifies it is in read-only flash!

But adding another user works great. I just edited passwd and shadow directly. they are in the conf directory which is r/w.
I copied the sysadmin record and added it with my name instead. change also the home directory to /conf/user_home/your_username

These setting will remain if you upgrade and preserve setting. If your new firmware requires to also remove setting you will lose it, unfortunately.

I found editing in the BMC limiting so I found a nice way to copy the files to a server and edit there with my favorit editor and then copy back.

You can from the BMC attach a network drive via SMB!
in /dre I created a mountpoint cifs. /dre is r/w. do not create your mount point in /conf. there is an rsync process that runs and keeps /conf and /bkupconf in sync. if it sees a new directory in /conf it will be backed up. I had 2 TB of data it tried to copy!
to mount issue
mount -t cifs -o username=xxx,password=yyyyyy,domain=zzzzz,vers=2.0 //10.0.0.20/share /dre/cifs
insert your credentials and ip and share
After that changing and analyzing files became easier

The BMC firmware from Gigabyte is common for all boards of the same generation. No specific board information is in it. Instead it has all infor for all supported boarda and att BMC boot the right one will be chosen depending on the model stored elsewhere. I have not upgraded the firmware but i am sure the settings of the modelname will remain.

It is not difficult to unpack the BMC firmware on a Linux system and analyse all files in it. It is also possible to modify and pack it back in a new firmware. Unfortunately there is a signature in the end of the file. I have not yet found a way around that! It might be possible to flash an unsigned firmware from the uboot prompt. There are commands for flashing but I have not tried them yet

BR
Peter

Reactions: Grinchy

JohnG

Nov 8, 2023
I have problem with getting working RAM for this board.

Tried with one stick of 32GB 2400T SKhynix HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH with no luck ( not sure if this is working one, because i just bought it)
No luck, BCM is starting fine. But when i press power button for main board, depending on which slot i put memory:
blue slots - boot loop
black slots - it stay awake, but no video signal in remote console.

On the other hand, i had spare desktop ram sticks just to test if board is in working condition.
Had no problem with 2x 16GB Kingston Fury KF3600C16D4/16GX. Board is working fine, have it installed TrueNAS for testing.

SKhynix one is not on QVL list, so im not sure what to do with it.

Can anyone share their RAM configuration ? I wanted to go with 2x32GB for my needs.

Last edited: