EU [FS][EU-CH] Supermicro SC846 with H12SSL-C, AMD Epyc 7443P, 256GB RAM, 24x12TB HDDs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jellyfish

Apr 3, 2021
Built the server and by the time we were done we realized our priorities had changed and we were not going to be able to use it as intended.

Case was bought used, all other components (motherboard, CPU and cooler, RAM, SSDs, HDDs) were bought new. The server only ran for 3 months, so they are effectively new. When it was in use no data was written to any of the SSDs or HDDs, so they are all brand new. All HDDs were tested with badblocks before installing and any with bad sectors have been replaced.

The server comes with 24 x 12TB HHDs installed (total raw capacity of 288TB).

The offer consists of:

- Case: Supermicro SC846 with 2x PWS-1K21P-1R PSU, incl. rails. Brittle rubber grommets inside the case were replaced with fresh ones.
- Backplane: BPN-SAS3-SC846EL1 (expensive upgrade to support HDDs of any capacity)
- Motherboard: Supermicro H12SSL-C
- CPU: AMD Epyc 7443P (installed with Conductonaut)
- Heat sink: Supermicro SNK-P0064AP4
- RAM: M393A8G40AB2-CWE 64GB x 4 = 256GB
- M.2 NVME: PM9A1 2 TB x 2 incl. 2x be quiet! MC1 Pro Cooler heatsinks
- SATA SSDs: IronWolf 125 250GB x 2
- HDDs: 12TB (white label WD, helium filled, mix of WD120EDAZ and WD120EDBZ). x 24
- TPM: AOM-TPM-9665V (unused)
- Optional (for free if you have use for it): Intel X520-DA2 network card

The onboard HBA controller (LSI-9300-8i) was flashed to the latest TrueNAS-compatible firmware (16.00.12.00). LSI 9300-xx Firmware Update

Price: 8500 CHF (~8750 EUR), negotiable. We can also discuss the offer, e.g. if you only want the HDDs or only the server without the HDDs, or something else.

Payment: Cash on pick-up, bank transfer or PayPal

Shipping: Due to the weight pick-up (in Switzerland near Olten) is preferable but would share the cost of a courier within Europe.

Reactions: Samir

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Any solution to avoid Customs + VAT eg. like moving it over the boarder (GER/FRA?) and shipping it from there?

Reactions: Samir

Jellyfish

Apr 3, 2021
The German and French border are within reasonable driving distance, so I'd consider it.

I just saw that GLS will ship parcels up to 40kg within Germany, I might need to ship the drives separately to make that possible but that should work.

automobile

May 16, 2017
Any solution to avoid Customs + VAT eg. like moving it over the boarder (GER/FRA?) and shipping it from there?
Is it necessary to pay VAT & Customs duties if you're moving a server within EU (to Germany in my case)?

Last edited:

Jellyfish

Apr 3, 2021
I'm not sure. As a private seller with a low yearly turnover I believe neither Germany nor Switzerland charge VAT, but I don't know what rules apply exactly if I sell from Switzerland into Germany and the server crosses the border in the process.

Reactions: automobile

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Technically, you'd have to pay import VAT if you move something over the border (EU <-> non-EU) for permanent export, no matter whether it's via car or whether postal service.

Once it's in Europe, you can move freely within Europe.

Reactions: automobile