Free backup solution that runs in Linux?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
So, I am currently using Veeam Backup Free (VeeamZip) edition at work to backup VMs from our vSphere clusters. The problem is, it isn't always running as expected (and I have a VM dedicated to this task). Some nights it runs fine and other nights it won't run. Yesterday, I noticed that it hadn't run for months, so needless to say this is an issue. I'm currently using some nice creative PowerShell scripts as scheduled tasks to perform the backups (one host per night, every night but Sunday night since we have 6 total hosts in vSphere Clusters). I would like to move this task to a Linux server since I just have a feeling it will work more reliably then Windows + Veeam Backup Free + PowerShell + Task Scheduler. Does anyone have a suggestion? I have tried ghettoVCB but it does not work reliably for us. I have thought about trying MKSBackup, but it is built on top of ghettoVCB so I don't have high hopes for it.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Sorry I don't know one but you should edit the title to 'Free VM backup solution' to make things clearer;) (Even if its in the VM section :))

Connorise

Mar 2, 2017
US. Cambridge
I googled a bit, so this is not from my real experience.

Bacula – Client/server backup tool for heterogeneous networks

This software is able to manage backups and recover across a network for computers including Linux, OSX and Windows. You can configure it via a CLI, GUI or web interface.

Backupninja – Lightweight backup system
Backupninja is a simple and easy to use backup system. You can simply drop a config files into /etc/backup.d/ to backup multiple hosts.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Bacula (and clones like bareos) are no vm backup tool - its client/server endpoint backup, so not really fitting.
Don't know BackupNinja

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
How much data are you trying to backup? If its less than 1TB of unique data you could try unitrends free.
https://www.unitrends.com/download/free-backup-vmware-hyper-v-software
No socket or server limit just the 1TB of unique data, the license calcualtes what the total size of the full backups is and then that is what it is based on.

So if you backup 5 100GB vms and keep them for a longer period of time you would end up storing more than that 500GB in space but the license would only count the 500GB.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
For my esxi VMS I use xsibackup from 33hhops

Download free VMWare Backup software for ESXi 5.1, 5.5, 6.0 & 6.5, fully functional, no limitations.

They have a free and pro version. I'm currently using the pro. I have a backup run every Sunday that does a full backup for the VMS. This backup can be added to esxi host directly invade it's needed.

The rest of the week I do nightly backup using their duplication process that saves space. This allows me a backup of each day. The weekly are stores in a week number folder so I can easily manage storage growth and remove older weeks of backups as needed.
The backup tool runs directly on the esxi host. So no worries about down VM etc.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Here you go, hope it helps:

Code:
#M-S@ 00:00 backup - Minecraft,Sophos,vcenter, WazoPBX - xsitools
#########################################################
/vmfs/volumes/6TBRaid/xsibackup/xsibackup --time="Mon 05:00|Tue 05:00|Wed 05:00|Thu 05:00|Fri 05:00|Sat 05:00" --backup-prog=xsitools:z --backup-point="/vmfs/volumes/VM_Backup_NFS/xsitools/weekly/$(date +%U)"  --backup-type=custom --backup-vms=Sophos,vcenter,Minecraft,WazoPBX  --smart-info=yes --mail-to=yourEmail@gmail.com --use-smtp=1 --test-mode=false

#Check repo Sun @ 3 am
/vmfs/volumes/6TBRaid/xsibackup/xsibackup --time="Sun 08:00" --check-xsitoolsrepo="/vmfs/volumes/VM_Backup_NFS/xsitools/weekly/$(date +%U)" --mail-to=yourEmail@gmail.com --use-smtp=1

#S@ 00:00 backup - Minecraft,Sophos,vcenter, WazoPBX - standard backup
/vmfs/volumes/6TBRaid/xsibackup/xsibackup --time="Sun 05:00" --backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/VM_Backup_NFS/xsitools/full --backup-type=custom --backup-vms=Sophos,vcenter,Minecraft,WazoPBX  --smart-info=yes --mail-to=yourEmail@gmail.com --use-smtp=1 --test-mode=false

Reactions: epicurean

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
the time schedule (
--time="Mon 05:00|Tue 05:00|Wed 05:00|Thu 05:00|Fri 05:00|Sat 05:00") will work with free version. The xsitools with deduplication is pro version feature though.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
How much data are you trying to backup? If its less than 1TB of unique data you could try unitrends free.
https://www.unitrends.com/download/free-backup-vmware-hyper-v-software
No socket or server limit just the 1TB of unique data, the license calcualtes what the total size of the full backups is and then that is what it is based on.

So if you backup 5 100GB vms and keep them for a longer period of time you would end up storing more than that 500GB in space but the license would only count the 500GB.
Currently 1.22TB of data :(

I really don't want to exclude anything either. Whats worse, is the 133.7 days remaining for my CrashPlan Pro upload of the VMs (given that the backups are good for only two weeks I don't anticipate they will ever finish before the next round starts).

Andrea

Jul 6, 2017
Verona
Recently i've buyed Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 but before i used Nakivo free, it backup only 2 machine but are good and easy to setup! :) It goes on a separate virtual machine and come in the OVA file prebuild!

Daniel J.

Aug 10, 2017
Hi, this is Daniel J. from 33hops.com, XSIBackup creators, thank you for using our tool!.
Just came across this post when doing routine check and thought that could add something.
XSIBackup has been thought to act as a "service" to ESXi, and it does it well. But the cron scheduling is more limited than Linux/Unix cron, So, if you want or need to, you can trigger XSIBackup jobs from any Linux or Unix system. You just need to generate an RSA key pair at the Linux box and copy the .pub key to the authorized_keys file at the ESXi host. Wrap the XSIBackup job commands in a bash script and launch that script remotely.

XSIBackup | Remote execution of backup jobs from outer schedulers

Please, note that if you want to chain backup jobs or do more complex scheduling, you need to use XSIBackup crontab (xsibackup-cron)