Ethernet over Coax or gigabit fibre adapter

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mitchell2020

Oct 28, 2023
Good evening. I have recently had 900mbps fibre installed at home. I have used a 1GBPS adapter through my house wiring to gigabit switch, but I’m only getting 100mbps at a games console connected to the switch. I have read that I can use my old coax cabling instead, and I’m also looking at gigabit fibre converter. Anyone have any ideas? Don’t want to spend hundreds of £s.

Attachments

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
Welcome!

Tips:
1. Make sure you get bits vs Bytes units correct. 1 Byte = 8 bits
2. Some older legacy devices only support 100 mbps.
3. Make sure you are using Cat 5e or better cables everywhere.

Options:
1. What year was the coax installed? Needs to be quad shielded RG-6
2. Ethernet over Power adapters can achieve Gb performance depending on quality of wiring and noise.

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
A friend in his house reused old coax with MoCA adapters for a point-to-point link in a location where it was impossible to pull new wires. He is very happy with it, getting solid 1Gbps in each direction. I don't remember what modems he bought, but it wasn't anything special, whatever he could find easily on Amazon. IIRC he mentioned paying ~$100 for a pair of modems.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
Is the coax pre-wired? Look for Moca 2.5 adapters and they can sustain 1 gbps + or even 2.5 Gbps