ESXi + RDM drives = ZFS Migration?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hey all,

I need more capacity and performance on my home NAS and thought the NAS setup @gea advocated for in another thread was interesting, so I'm converting my bare metal Server 2016 + ReFS storage space to ZFS on a storage-only OS (haven't decided which OS) virtualized on ESXi. I'll have a few other ESXi VMs for random things that I do (e.g. Minecraft server, Windows VM to manage my blu-ray collection, etc). I've been doing some reading and am not sure my data migration plan is sound.

I have an X10SDV-7tp4f Supermicro Xeon-D board with a Broadcom 2116 SW controller w/ 4 SAS ports. My storage space has 8 HDs (4x3TB + 4x6TB). I have no way to migrate the data off of the Storage Space and onto the ZFS volume without running them concurrently, and I can't run them concurrently if I passthrough the entire SATA controller of my motherboard to the ZFS guest. I need to (at least temporarily):
* Convert my bare-metal Server 2016 installation to an ESXi VM
* Pass through 8 drives to Windows running on ESXi using RDM
* Pass through whatever HDs I buy for my ZFS volume to the ZFS guest using RDM
* Copy all the data over to ZFS
* Switch to passing through the entire SATA controller to the ZFS guest
* Re-purpose the 8 HDs I was using for the Storage Space

Is this sound? Some questions:
* Is using RDM + ZFS bad in any way other than performance? Is it an acceptable way of running ZFS just for the duration of my data migration? Everyone says to pass through the controller but there's not a lot of info on whether RDM is actually acceptable.
* Will the ZFS guest see the hard drives after I convert from RDM to SATA-controller-passthrough? Or will the drives be different in some way that will make it not see the volume?

I haven't 100% decided on what OS and HD setup to use on the ZFS side because I'm still planning on how exactly to do the data migration, so I'm flexible on what hardware I buy for that.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Pass-through the disks via Physical RDM should be ok.

If you then move the disks to a setup with native ZFS access (pass-through the HBA)
ZFS should see them and be able to import the pool.

I say should because I have not tried.
Another option, as you intend to buy a new disk(s) is to use the disk on your desktop via ntfs,
backup the data over the network and then back to the new ZFS system using robocopy sync.

Reactions: altano

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Another option, as you intend to buy a new disk(s) is to use the disk on your desktop via ntfs,
backup the data over the network and then back to the new ZFS system using robocopy sync.
Unfortunately this is just my home lab and the only machine I have capable of holding that many hard drives is the server itself.

Thanks for the confirmation that RDM will suffice! Now I just have to decide on a host OS and drive configuration and go to town.