ESXi all-NVMe storage array requirements

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
I'm looking to move a Proxmox VE host to ESXi, to experiment with Nvidia vGPU (RTX A5000 shared between three guests).

The Proxmox host currently has an all-NVMe ext4 striped storage array as 'hot' storage for media ingest, before the content gets archived to a magnetic ZFS pool. The NVMe array consists of 4x Samsung PM9A3 Gen4 drives in software RAID0, connected via a 16-lane PCIe Gen4 bifurcation riser.

Does ESXi support something similar, without using a hardware NVMe RAID controller?

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
As far as I'm aware there is no native software raid capability at al in ESXi :(

If it's just a home lab you could do something silly like pass the disks through to a freenas VM, and then present that storage back to ESXi using iSCSI or NFS :p

Reactions: ectoplasmosis

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
As far as I'm aware there is no native software raid capability at al in ESXi :(

If it's just a home lab you could do something silly like pass the disks through to a freenas VM, and then present that storage back to ESXi using iSCSI or NFS :p
Ah, that’s a shame!

Are there any other hypervisors that have a free/community tier, support software NVMe RAID and Nvidia vGPU?

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
As a role it's not free (part of windows server 20*) and I'm not sure if hyper-v server (the "free" gui free hypervisor) supports storage spaces...
100% sure that h-v 2016 will do storage spaces on a single host.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
nvidia vGPU has drivers out there for xen, kvm, hyper-v, and esxi. Only used esxi so cant speak to usability of the others.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
I'm looking to move a Proxmox VE host to ESXi, to experiment with Nvidia vGPU (RTX A5000 shared between three guests).

The Proxmox host currently has an all-NVMe ext4 striped storage array as 'hot' storage for media ingest, before the content gets archived to a magnetic ZFS pool. The NVMe array consists of 4x Samsung PM9A3 Gen4 drives in software RAID0, connected via a 16-lane PCIe Gen4 bifurcation riser.

Does ESXi support something similar, without using a hardware NVMe RAID controller?
Make sure you look at the license cost for vGPU from Nvidia. The last card that has free vGPU is the kepler card (Grid K2/K1).

Dean

Jun 18, 2015
Agreed - no nvme raid driver, etc.

BUT, VMware just released details for esxi 7.0 cU3 - supposed to support nvme/tcp protocol. I'd check into it. Release is late October I believe.