ES CPU -- Identification Part #2 -- Is IT!?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've used my fair share of ES CPUs and I've seen the common core count not match OEM, sensor count not match OEM, missing some pieces, etc...

However, I just got some chips in from another country that say INTEL right on the CHIP, and also the part #, ie: E5-2620. The chip boots up, works fine, and reads what it says is engraved/written on the chip.

HOWEVER. I noticed on one there is a sensor mismatch, which I've ONLY seen on ES chips.

Has anyone seen a heat sensor mismatch on a non-ES chip? Is Intel re-branding ES chips for 3rd-world countries?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Some ES may be 10 CORE RETAIL, but 8 core or 6 core ES.

Sometimes the heat/other sensors for the other cores are still active.

I've only seen this on ES chips though, and now the retail chip is showing it.

Last edited:

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
/me shrugs, if you think Intel chips don't have errata ... you have not read their documentation.

Remember that they shipped C1 as both ES and retail for SB-E with broken VT-D and HW-E with TSX borked.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
/me shrugs, if you think Intel chips don't have errata ... you have not read their documentation.

Remember that they shipped C1 as both ES and retail for SB-E with broken VT-D and HW-E with TSX borked.
I don't have experience with 100s or 1000s of CPUs, dozens, but not hundreds so I'm not intimately aware of their mistakes, and goofs.

I just found it weird and my first time finding a CPU that had more sensors working than cores working on a non-ES CPU.