Enclosure For Shared Storage Suggestion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
Hi,

I've been looking around to get 2 storage systems host Hyper-V VMs. I've been browsing Supermicro chassis but I am not exactly sure what should I be looking for.

The 2 nodes will act as a HA/Failover. What kind of features should I be looking for on the backplane? I will be installing SSDs in them but would it be more cost effective to mix some SSD and some 4TB spinning drives to increase the capacity?

I think I am going to use Storage Space or Storage Space Direct in Windows 2016. Is there anything I should watch out for?

Also, I would like to keep the budget down =)

Thanks,
Jimmy

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
1) with storage spaces direct you do not need a shared chassis (you need 4 nodes though). so backplanes need to be SAS based (you can use SATA drives though)
2) make sure that you are using a 10GB (40GB+ preferred) back end network.
3) if you have enough ram, you can run hyper-converged architecture (see some of my previous posts).
4) cost effective to have tiered storage, yes, my boss and I have architectural arguments of the effective benefits of tiered architectures. it is still up for debate.

Chris

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
Thanks, I'll give that a read tonight. I am wondering what is the most common (while keeping the budget low) path it is to setup a shared volume for the Hyper-V cluster? Is HyperConverge the way to go now?