E5 Xeon and Avoton in cluster?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Am thinking about creating a high availability hyper V cluster to play around with at home and am wondering if anyone has tried to create one with mixed E5 Xeon and Avoton machines or even knows if this would work?

Thanks

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What hypervisior?

I have been doing Hyper-V migrations from my dual E5-2665 workstation to my Atom C2758 and C2550 boxes. Not a real cluster but I am just using replication then turn on/off the VMs at the different endpoints. The VMs do seem to work fine though.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
For home lab, run hyper v cluster on top of E5 Xeon vSphere ESXi host.
I have a single E5-2430 cpu ESXi host to experiment with OpenStack, hyper v cluster , nested ESXi.

24gb memory and 6 physical cores, slow but very energy efficient. The nested vSphere host is faster than my brain could process the information that I needed to build the lab.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
It's no problem to use different hardware inside the cluster, just beware to set the CPU option to allow it to migrate to nodes with different hardware.

VM settings: Processor > Compatibility: "Migrate to a physical computer with different processor version".

Here at work I admin a 10 node cluster with HP Gen7 and Gen8 servers.
CPU's are slightly different. quad cores in the Gen7 and hexacores in the Gen8.
Works like a charm.