E5-1660 V2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

shoguneye

Jan 21, 2016
Hi, I've picked a couple of these up for 499 a pop and would like to pair them with a suitable board. I'll need minimum 96gb ram maybe up to 128 I'd think max. and rackable. Any thoughts on what board, bare bones system will do the trick? They will be supporting virtualized work loads. I want to stick with the c602 platform not the x79.

Thanks in advance

nry

Feb 22, 2013
I use the Supermicro X9SRL with my 1620 v2. Just don't make my mistake and get the none -F version which is IPMI. As currently I can't check temperatures etc.

shoguneye

Jan 21, 2016
Thanks for the benefit of your experience I really appreciate the feedback. I'll check into it and hopefully can pick a good refurbed or sale unit

shoguneye

Jan 21, 2016
Hi, I think I'd like to certainly have the option of onboard SAS, really don't have the complete physical architecture sorted out yet. This box will help me decide which way to go. I'm not looking to manage large gobs of data so onboard is fine although I wouldn't want to be stuck with this being the only option. Density works for me as this 'model' will eventually end up in a colo. and since it's a single socket config doubling the resource per footprint is a consideration. Thanks for your input :)

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Hi, I think I'd like to certainly have the option of onboard SAS, really don't have the complete physical architecture sorted out yet. This box will help me decide which way to go. I'm not looking to manage large gobs of data so onboard is fine although I wouldn't want to be stuck with this being the only option. Density works for me as this 'model' will eventually end up in a colo. and since it's a single socket config doubling the resource per footprint is a consideration. Thanks for your input :)
How dense? there's stuff like this
Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9SRD-F
that goes in a 3u blade like chassis for 8 nodes
or these
Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9SRG-F
although they also seem to offer Nvidia tesla cards as well as part of the package

Reactions: shoguneye

shoguneye

Jan 21, 2016
Nice, appreciate the heads up. I'll check out the chassis that goes with these and if I can find one on the cheap(er). Ultimately this type of configuration is something I'll lean towards, at this juncture price point is important and if the costs are too high I'll just go basic and step into the desired config. at a later date. I have 6 cpus to place.