Does Anyone Know Dual 2011-3 DDR3 Motherboards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
DDR3 is not compatible natively on any LGA2011-3 motherboard with Haswell/Broadwell CPUs at enterprise level.
Unless its some hacked together chinese knock off motherboard I can't think of any that will have DDR3, other than some X99 boards that are more gaming level like this:

hyltcasper

May 1, 2020
It is not a hack, V3 CPUs support DDR3 natively. There is implementations of Asrock that I shared in the first message.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
By hacked together I mean not thought out or designed well by a name brand company, you also see how available the ones that ASrock developed are.

hyltcasper

May 1, 2020
I think it is not possible for unsupported CPU. Because for each memory type, signaling and quantization would be different. I don't know maybe you right, maybe there was a compatibility layer. We only know DDR4 memories does not improve performance on V3/V4 CPUs. So it is a bit expensive but acceptable for lower volume. For 512GB case there is huge (near $900) cost difference. Because of this, I am searching these boards. I am working outside of EU so it is equal to my one salary. For second server, second salary. Can't acceptable by me. Maybe I go with lower ram configuration.

There were people who got very cheap memory here but I am not one of those lucky ones.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Your best bet IMO is to go lower ram config like you mentioned or just accept a V2 motherboard.
Theres alot more availability and options for deals with either of those options.

hyltcasper

May 1, 2020
Your best bet IMO is to go lower ram config like you mentioned or just accept a V2 motherboard.
Theres a lot more availability and options for deals with either of those options.
Yes, so my guess same as you said, though I will try my luck a little bit as I'm not in a hurry. Alongside this, I am trying to catch cheap DDR4. Not success yet.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Intel designed backward DDR3 compatability into the E5 v3 CPUs (but only a few of the CPU models have this feature enabled) and the C612 chipset has DDR3 support as well. There were a couple companies (Inventec is one) that designed and sold custom motherboards with E5 v3 CPUs and DDR3 RAM for large volume enterprise customers. But, as @Spartacus notes, nothing of this type ever made it into mainstream enterprise use.

Asrock announced those boards you linked to, but I don't believe they ever actually went on sale.

Now that the custom systems with v3 CPUs and DDR3 RAM I menitoned above are being retired, you can occastionally find Dual Processor E5 v3 motherboards that use DDR3 listed on Ebay. These aren't hacked together boards, but they are also purpose built for a specfic customer and use, so will have very little documentation, no support, and likely won't have any driver or BIOS updates. Depending on the operating system you want to use, there may be no driver support for them at all.

I did find one current listing for dual 2011-3 and DDR3 RAM. As you'll see, its a proprietary board though, with a non-standard form factor for a specific server chassis and power supplies. Unfortunately, with no doucmentation, the seller may not know what chassis and power supply the board fits. System Board Dual LGA 2011-3 Socket Motherboard T2852101 | eBay

hyltcasper

May 1, 2020
Intel designed backward DDR3 compatability into the E5 v3 CPUs (but only a few of the CPU models have this feature enabled) and the C612 chipset has DDR3 support as well. There were a couple companies (Inventec is one) that designed and sold custom motherboards with E5 v3 CPUs and DDR3 RAM for large volume enterprise customers. But, as @Spartacus notes, nothing of this type ever made it into mainstream enterprise use.

Asrock announced those boards you linked to, but I don't believe they ever actually went on sale.

Now that the custom systems with v3 CPUs and DDR3 RAM I mentioned above are being retired, you can occasionally find Dual Processor E5 v3 motherboards that use DDR3 listed on Ebay. These aren't hacked together boards, but they are also purpose built for a specfic customer and use, so will have very little documentation, no support, and likely won't have any driver or BIOS updates. Depending on the operating system you want to use, there may be no driver support for them at all.

I did find one current listing for dual 2011-3 and DDR3 RAM. As you'll see, it's a proprietary board though, with a non-standard form factor for a specific server chassis and power supplies. Unfortunately, with no documentation, the seller may not know what chassis and power supply the board fits. System Board Dual LGA 2011-3 Socket Motherboard T2852101 | eBay
I don't know why this website quotes when mentioning. I talked with seller and and he said me the board not working with a typical PSU. I saw Inventec one. It looks good. no on sale right now. I will wait while trying to get DDR4.