Disabling alert beeps on Supermicro health event log (CPU temperature)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mickeyil

Dec 28, 2020
Hi,

I have 2 different machines with 2 different motherboards: X11SCZ-F and X11SCL-iF. Both running a Xeon E-2278G CPU (80W TDP).
Sometimes when the CPU temperature gets the high range, the computer sounds a beep (on various lengths). I suspect the BMC is causing it since I can see a perfect correlation between the beeps and new entries in the Health Event Log.
Those machines are running Linux, and in dmesg log I can see the CPU throttling entries in the log, but in much lower frequencies than the beeps/entries in the Health Event Log.

Is there a way to disable those beeps?

mickeyil

Dec 28, 2020
For the miniITX build (which uses X11SCL-iF) I've tried:
- Supermicro SNK-P0049A4 (Active 1U)
- Then Noctua NH-L9i (better than the first one: less beeps and much more quiet)
- Now it's Cryorig C7, but I'm going to take it apart, double check the thermal paste and reassemble it. It just doesn't make any sense that it's worse than the Noctua in terms of CPU temperature (and beep frequency).
This build runs inside a Silverstone ML08 miniITX case with a 3080 GPU. The way the case is arranged internally makes me think that this is not an airflow problem.

mickeyil

Dec 28, 2020
True, no fans. I don't think this is what's causing the beeps: another build based on X11SCZ-F and the Noctua NH-L9i inside a Supermicro CSE-732D3-903B was also beeping under the same app. In that build I'm not limited to the 50-something mm height, so I'm not worried for now.

If it wasn't for the beeps, an occasional cpu throttling is fine. Those are heavy computations and the performance (with the throttling) looks good.

Meanwhile, I just found out that the buzzer can be silenced by a jumper on board. This will hopefully silence those beeps.