Desktop CPU boards with ECC support?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

evilpaul

Oct 15, 2020
Anyone have a favorite inexpensive, but not junk board or series of boards that support CPUs that have ECC support? Either a Ryzen or i3 CPU probably. I'm looking for something I can use with TrueNAS as a fast file server and Plex server and could use some ideas.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Depends how you define inexpensive I guess but I'm using ASRock boards that support unbuffered ECC with my Ryzen 3000s. For a server build the
X470D4U and X570D4U are popular choices but they're much more expensive than desktop boards and the ECC error reporting is iffy (worth it for IPMI though in my opinion).

Last I looked the Intel chips that supported ECC were server-only and rather more expensive than the AMD equivalent but that was some time ago now.

IIRC there's a fair few people using intel quicksync transcoding with plex so it might be pertinent to establish if you're going to be using this functionality and whether it'll work under freenas and friends. Other people use an nvidia GPU for transcoding purposes, and of course software transcoding is likely also an option.

Reactions: evilpaul

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
FYI... I bought a $100 small business PC (HP 290) with a 8th generation dual core Celeron in it with quicksync just for PLEX transcoding. It works amazingly well and just sips the power. The i3-8100/i3-9100 above will work great for plex transcoding. I have another exact box just for Blue Iris camera PVR quicksync transcoding as well.

Reactions: evilpaul and Marsh

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
My asus x99 boards support ECC if you put an ECC capable CPU in them.