Dell H200 virtual disk sizing issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cafcwest

Feb 15, 2013
Richmond, VA
Hello,

Running into a small issue with an H200 that I purchased used on da' bay.

I cannot configure the virtual disk size when I perform an array configuration. In the controller itself, I simply do not see the option to specify the virtual disk size. In OpenManage, no matter what size I specify, the virtual disk always uses the maximum space available.

In this use case, I am trying to configure four consumer grade SSD's in RAID-10 and want to perform some overprovisioning and am running into a wall.

Any ideas?

canta

Nov 26, 2014
tough... luck
this is DELLIZER firmware, which dell put a lot of limitation on entry level HBA RAID0/1 card

I suggest to use non Dell 9240 or newer card :D..

or you can try to crossflash with LSI 9211 IR firmware.

on mine, I put 9211 IT 6G HBA firmware since running on ZoL

OR..
you can do overprovisioning directly on samsung SSD 850 with Samsung magician tools.

cafcwest

Feb 15, 2013
Richmond, VA
you can do overprovisioning directly on samsung SSD 850 with Samsung magician tools.
Dell card for a Dell server. So that I can view/manage/receive notifications from OpenManage Server Administrator. 'tis the business world and all that.

So what you suggest is to pass through the disk to the OS, use Magician to OP the disk, then build the array and that the disk will only display to the H200 the size they have been provisioned for by Magician? If that works, I'd be a happy camper.

cafcwest

Feb 15, 2013
Richmond, VA
No bueno. Just verified that all Samsung Magician does it shrink existing data partitions - it does not reserve the space on a hardware level. The RAID controller still sees the actual space (size) of the drives themselves.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
contact dell tech support...
do you try on H310?.. 9240 dell OEM

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Running into a small issue with an H200 that I purchased used on da' bay.

I cannot configure the virtual disk size when I perform an array configuration. In the controller itself, I simply do not see the option to specify the virtual disk size. In OpenManage, no matter what size I specify, the virtual disk always uses the maximum space available.
I'm pretty sure that this feature is only available on the MegaRAID-based controllers like the H700. I haven't seen an actual H200, but the "6Gbps SAS HBA" (the external-port version of the H200) isn't very smart.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I'm pretty sure that this feature is only available on the MegaRAID-based controllers like the H700. I haven't seen an actual H200, but the "6Gbps SAS HBA" (the external-port version of the H200) isn't very smart.
H310 is megaRaid too, as long as not flash to 9211 firmware (dellizer or LSI).
dell external SAS HBA, is using 9211 IT dellizer. that mostly identical with H200 (9211 IR, with more flash memory).
as I verify this weekH200 with 9211 IR has not option too :D

I know 9240 can do that :D

cafcwest

Feb 15, 2013
Richmond, VA
Ultimately I am done messing around with the H200.

- When I have Dell FW installed, I can view it through OpenManage Server Administrator but I can't create the volume in the manner I want.
- If I load LSI FW, I can size the volume appropriately but then I lose all of my OMSA management and alert notifications.

I do have a H310, but as I am working on a 12G PowerEdge system, installing it also causes me to lose OMSA functionality (as 12G systems would have come with PERC 6, SAS 6, or H200/H700 adapters - the H310 wasn't available until 13G PowerEdge) so that doesn't really help.

I am going to end up getting an H700 for this system, even though I am only doing R-10 and don't need the cache, just so that I can size the volume of SSD drives appropriately.