dell c6100 infinband mezzanine card install

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Beaubeshore

Apr 14, 2013
I bought a couple MELLANOX QDR VPI 2 PORT for a c6100 and i am looking to install it... the case that each motherboard sits on doesn't allow me to remove the metal mesh to allow me to install the mezzanine card.

do I have to buy another motherboard tray to allow for the metal to be removed.?

what is needed to get the mezzanine card installed? What is the best way to get this setup?

thanks!

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Most c6100 motherboard trays have cut-outs for the Infiniband ports. Some do not.

Here is a closeup of a tray with no cutouts:

Here is one with cutouts:

In the lower photo, you can see that there appear to be two "layers" of metal honeycomb mesh in the upper left where the Infiniband (IB) ports would be housed, with three screws holding them together. The outermost layer is part of the motherboard tray while the inner layer is a separate piece. This piece gets removed when you install the IB card and is replaced with a similar looking piece attached to the IB board.

It might be possible to dremel your way out of your predicament, but buying new motherboards for $100 and then selling yours (probably for less than $100) might be faster and in the end less expensive.

Last edited: