Dataset share type and ACL permissions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aah

Jan 1, 2023
Hello,
I have two questions. In my home environment, I have Windows PCs, Macbook laptops, Linux VMs, and both android and iOS devices.
What is the best method for creating a share folder that all these devices can read from and write to? Please note that no two nodes will write to the same file simultaneously. I am just confused by the granularity and tediousness of TN.
For instance within TN 13.x.x I can set a dataset share type to either generic or SMB. My understanding is if I choose SMB, file case sensitivity is set to insensitive and set permissions to restricted. This creates issues for linux based system. Advancing to creating a shared folder and choosing a share protocol AND defining preset sharing protocols further complicates my choices. Can someone please shine a light on the matter.
I have a QNAP NAS, with which I can easily create share folders across a multiOS network without any hassles.
Thanks