Custom 4U GPU Case Frame

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
that looks like some power hungry hardware. what are those cards? They have dual DVI so i imagine they are a little older since most cards now have more DP? What is this workstation for?

The MB must also be like customized and have riser cards or you are using PCIe ribbon cables? is there even space for the MB underneath?

How do you secure the cards to the rails at the back of the cards?

Well, can't wait to see what this will look like at the end :)

Last edited:

William

May 7, 2015
Looks like a pair of EVGA 9800 GX2's in there.
Seems like so long ago I ran a pair of those in my phase cooled rig, they were beasts !

Nice case btw ! :)

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Looks like a pair of EVGA 9800 GX2's in there.
Seems like so long ago I ran a pair of those in my phase cooled rig, they were beasts !

Nice case btw ! :)
Spotswood has real good reviews and reputation for his cases.

But why on earth would anyone still using 9800 GX2 nowaday? Those 4 video cards kinda bother me since they are so power inefficient for what they can produce fps which is not much nowaday. Unless spotswood is just using them as stand-in large gfx cards for determining spaces, etc in his custom built.... Yeah, i fail to see why anyone would still use even 1 of those let along 4 nowaday.

William

May 7, 2015
I don't think these will not be used for FPS related things, more like number crunchers.

Last edited:

William

May 7, 2015
I agree, just trying to figure out what he is using those for also.

I had a guy buy my 2x 9800GX2's a few years ago, he was pretty excited about getting them, for some number crunching project so I don't know.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I agree, just trying to figure out what he is using those for also.

I had a guy buy my 2x 9800GX2's a few years ago, he was pretty excited about getting them, for some number crunching project so I don't know.
I bet he's just putting them in to determine the size and spaces needed for large cards.

Spotswood, that's the reason right?

Reactions: Spotswood

Spotswood

I bet he's just putting them in to determine the size and spaces needed for large cards.

Spotswood, that's the reason right?
The hardware pictured is just there to verify final fitment. (I should have known better and added a disclaimer in the OP). :p

I know the client will be installing at least two Titan Z cards (via powered riser cables) to this expansion board: PCI Express (PCIe) Expansion Backplane - Amfeltec and will be using one of these when traveling: SKB Roto Rolling Rack - 4 Rack Spaces w/Wheels.

I added a couple of posts onto which the ends of the GPU mounting brackets will be bolted to.

Last edited:

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I guess your client needs FP64 power? thats like the only reason to have Titan Z over titan x pascal..... 1/3 vs 1/32

They are so power inefficient compared to titan X pascal. One titan x pascal give 11TFLOPS fp32, slightly less than the 5.8 TFLOPS x2 from titan z but much more power efficient.

Also I m sure you already account for the fact that Titan Z is triple slots in thickness?

Customized cases with ribbon extension cables the only way to go for 4x titan z since you have trouble physically fit even 2 titan z in many standard MB.