Crazy question about hyper-v free

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Can I use a hyper.v 2012 free setup as a file server only machine?

Before I start getting posts saying I am nuts, hear me out.
I have an old IBM systrmx 3650 server. I loaded the free 2012 hyperv on it fot testing and I hopes of using it as a light vm host for 2 vm. It only have 4gb ram and single 4 core xeon. But I have it and it works so why not? But it will not run the vm server. The os works and all but hyperv services error out with error that cpu does not support virtualization. We are a microsoft all around so Linux is not an option.
I figure if I add a file server role, which btw is loaded anyway, and create a few shares I can use it as a low level file dump for all around sharing. Can I do that?
Does this use legal?
I have 2 of this and not sure what else I can do whith them. I can convert one to a secondary dc maybe.but they are old so would it be any good? Also we are planning on ordring a new server specifically so we can virtualize a few things including main file server, and a ba k up dc, so would it be woth it to toy around with this relics.
Thanks.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Pretty sure that is not allowed on the free hyper-v server. Though without buying a license to cover any VMs its irrelevant, assuming you would want windows as the guest OS as well. Basically, if you want a windows-server file server, you need a windows-server license, regardless of whether it is a VM or not.

If you want a file server without a windows-server license, get something linux or bsd based. Yes the non-MS options will work fine with your existing all-MS clients. If you think non-MS is too hard, then stick with something with a nice web UI - FreeNAS or such.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
One I am working now is xeon e5430
I have another one wich is e5205

And the fileserver roll is already installed on free hyperv. It comes installed by default. I tried setting up shares and it works very well. I am not sure if I can use it this way legally but it definitely works.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
If the hyper-v role is not working, it may because of a bios setting. We turn off virtualization for servers that are physical only; so when we convert then to something with a hyper-V role, we have to turn back on that feature in the BIOS.

Chris

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Yes, it will work. Yes, it is 'legal' with the Hyper-v server license (you are not adding a new role but just using capabilities already included and active).

No, it is not supported or recommended. It's a PITA to administer without a GUI on the Hyper-v server node. It is outside of MS 'best practices' and will be flagged if you run the best practices analyzer.

I do this on a small stand-alone Hyper-v server node where Hyper-v server itself is acting as a FS for the VMs on the node.

Last edited:

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Thanks, I just figured I wanted to use the machine for something and it just a waist getting a licence for it if vm don't work. As is I can run it as a file dump for non essential user files and stuff, and put all important things on new vm file server when we get the new setup.

I can not use anything but ms.
Nobody here even want to see anytjing but ms. Linux is a curse word :).
Also I loaded the rsat utility on my win8 machine and it is very nice and usefull. So admimistration should not be a big ussue.
And anyhow what there to administer once all is setup.
We barely touch our servers once all is up and running.