Cooling a very hot Adaptec 5405 card.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

swinster

Oct 17, 2011
I have an Adpatec 5404 running 4 drives, but my gosh it runs hot (90 deg C). After a bit of googleing this apparently appears to be normal!!!

Has anyone come up with a simple fan or possibly heat sink to mount to the card to cool this thing down?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So what you want to generally do is ensure you have good airflow through the expansion slot. I think my old 5805 had a heatsink but you can add one easily using thermal tape plus a chipset/ vga heatsink (those are sold generally for a few dollars.) The major thing is that you need good airflow over the card. Areca uses an active HSF combo on it's IOP348 cards.

swinster

Oct 17, 2011
The 5405 doe shave a heat sink but no fan. I was thinking of adding a new fan/heatsink combo if I can find one to fit the mounting holes.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
I had some trouble with the RAID cards getting super-hot (first computer component which has actually properly burned my fingers) and fixed it by putting a 140mm fan blowing across all of the expansion slots... it's currently just taped into the server but it worked quite well.

Just to clarify - it's blowing front-to-back in the chassis rather than out the side as is typical of most graphics cooling solutions.

qisback

Sep 24, 2011
I have to agree with sotech,

I have 3 IBM MR10i cards that get very toasty so my solution is a 120mm fan mounted over the cards, fortunately my expansion area has air holes that I can zip/cable tie 2 of the fan screw holes to keeping it very stable.

-={Q}=-

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Keep you current Heatsink.
Grab a fan any fan of an old CPU or even a SFF case (what I use) that matches the size of the HS
Make sure the screw holes on the fan line up with the Fins on the HS
Re Artic silver or other goo the Heatsink to controller.
Screw fan on
Put fan lead/plug into Motherboard fan header.

The above is what I have on my Perc H200
There is no way of attaching photos' here, don't have photobucket acct either.
But I'm sure you get the idea.
Cheap as chips way to solve heat issue and it looks like it was meant to be there :)

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
40x40x10mm fan is what you want. If I recall I mounted one on my former Adaptec 52445 with small zipties.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
40x40x10mm fan is what you want. If I recall I mounted one on my former Adaptec 52445 with small zipties.

Yes thats the size, I have a 40x40x30mm fan, blows a heap of air, over the roar of my other fans it's not noticable :)
Although the fins on the H200 are spaced exactly right for the screws to slot into for me.