Controlling fans over IPMI on Supermicro X8 series

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

futureprimitive

Dec 2, 2017
Hey all, trying to configure the fan speeds on my Supermicro X8DTL-iF through IPMI and slightly struggling at it. At first they were constantly ramping up and down, I managed to solve that by setting the lower and upper fan speed thresholds however now they tend to ramp up and stay at an RPM above the high threshold I set. I have read it could be down to the BIOS conflicting with the BMC for control of the fans as I had them set to Energy Saving mode, however when set to full speed I haven't been able to figure out how to control them and keep them at a reasonable speed. Ideally I'd just like them to be relatively quiet when idle/basic tasks, and spin up under load. Side note, I only need to control one fan header as I have the system in a Phanteks Enthoo Pro that has a built in fan controller and takes it's PWM input from CPU Fan1.

Any advice/input is appreciated!

edit: for context I'm using ipmitool to attempt to set the fans speeds, supermicro's ipmi gui mentions fan speeds under configuration but has no options. BIOS has full speed, performance, balanced and energy saving. I think what I need to do is either set the PWM duty cycle lower, however none of the raw commands for this that apply to X9/X10/X11 seem to work.

Last edited: