Console Access to Linux Guests

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Dec 1, 2012
Hi Guys,

I am thinking of moving from VMWare to Hyper-V. One feature I would like is to be able to connect to Linux guests using RDP or HTML 5 or similar. Doe's Hyper-V or any other MS offering like Remote Gateway Services enable me to efficiently connect to a Linux guest via it's GUI via a slower link such as the Internet?

Ideally I would not like to have to RDP to the host first.

I have just installed Server 2012 R2 Standard and playing around with Hyper-V atm.

Thanks,

Adam

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
My preferred method for remote management of linux regardless of whether its a VMware/HyperV/other VM or a physical box is SSH. It's pretty much universally available on anything unix-like (linux, bsd, embedded systems, etc), is quite secure if configured properly, requires very low bandwidth, and can do a lot more than most people realize. While it doesn't directly give you access to a remote GUI (why would you install a GUI on anything except a desktop though) it can very easily be used to create a secure/encrypted tunnel for either X forwarding back to your desktop, or tunnel a TCP port from your desktop to the remote box (eg. port 5900 for a VNC session).

I realize its not quite what you're asking for - but if you want to learn linux for server or sys-admin type tasks, learn the command line and SSH is your best friend. If all you want is a non-MS / non-Apple desktop, then install a VNC server on the linux guest.

Dec 1, 2012
Cheers TuxDude.

Yeah I do use SSH having worked with Linux for years however I want the option for a GUI in those circumstances where it is more appropriate. I could go an option such as Guacamole or No Machine but I want to see what the MS ecosystem has to offer. VNC and X11 are pretty rubbish these days and arnt as efficient as the newer alternatives when connecting over the Internet. I really want to give Hyper-V a real go but I do want a good workable solution

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
A good option in this case would be to not use Hyper-v but KVM, as you can then use the SPICE-server and client.

For all other cases there is xrdp, which dumps VNC over RDP in a quite good way, but i have no idea about how sound their (non-defaulted) encryption is.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
hyper-v will certainly let you access the 'console' of a Linux guest, including the GUI if you want it (though the graphics performance is not fabulous).

Dec 1, 2012
Thanks again guys,

I have used NX and FreeRDP previously. NX is a great option as it works well across the Internet, FreeRDP however works great within the LAN but terribly over the Internet. At the moment the option I will be researching is FreeRDP with perhaps Terminal Services Gateway - if that's possible. I am hoping that the TSG will fix the performance issues. If that's not an option then Guacamole HTML 5 TS Gateway could be the next best option as it too will allow Linux and Windows guest.