community question [for admins?] about user Sleyk

Would you like to see Sleyk back on STH?

• He was awesome! He needs to be back on STH!

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • His humor was too cheesy. I couldn't stand him anymore.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I don't know. Who is Sleyk?

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Sleyk was the victim of cancel culture.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • His account was hacked!

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
hi everyone. it's been a while since I've spent a lot of time on STH. the eBay and YouTube thing pretty much has me answering questions all day long from folks looking to build their home servers. for those who have been here for a while, you may know a fellow STH member by the user name "Sleyk". He is someone I know personally outside of STH and has been, in my opinion, a great contributor to STH. However, I've noticed that his account has been closed and many of his threads/posts are now gone. some of them were really helpful to many people, and some were just great entertainment. when I asked Sleyk why his threads were gone, he said he didn't know about it and tried to login to STH only to find out he cannot. he doesn't know why this happened.

like i said, I haven't been hanging around STH much lately, so I don't know what might have happened here while I was gone. Sleyk would very much like to be part of the STH community, but at the very least to know why his account no longer works. anyone here know what happened? any admins know? if there's a good reason why his account is no longer, at least I can let him know why. but if it was a technical glitch, or some other mistake, he would like help to reinstate his account. And I personally, would like to see his posts/threads restored if possible.

Last edited:

starshipeleven

Dec 10, 2019
I've been wondering the same for a little while. I followed his HBA330 crossflashing guide that is now gone from the forum and accessible only on the Internet Archive Flash/Crossflash DELL H330 RAID Card to HBA330/12Gbps HBA IT Firmware

I assume that if he posted other useful guides they are also backed up in the Internet Archive and can be manually restored (copy-pasted back) as long as you can get an old broken link to the thread you can feed that to the Internet Archive and see the archived pages Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free & Borrowable Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine

Reactions: gb00s

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
A reincarnation might be in progress:
Sleyk.jpg
[and the "Today" is today (02Dec23)]

========
"How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?" --FT

Reactions: itronin

terrelsa13

Jul 23, 2023
I too used Sleyk's HBA330 cross flashing guide and was confused when my bookmark did not work.
The HBA330 cross flashing thread was VERY helpful. It would be nice to at least have that thread cleaned of malicious links and restored. The internet archive only seems to capture the first couple pages.

terrelsa13

Jul 23, 2023
This Art Of Server youtube; How to crossflash Dell H330 to IT mode firmware is also very helpful (good stuff starts 1:50 in). Video description mentions Sleyk requested it be made back in 2020. Only downside is the links to download the files used to flash are pointing to the no longer working STH thread. It would be nice if we could have this video update with the direct links to Sleyk's Google drive.

My concern with the archived links is if the original links were replaced with malicious links I cannot say for sure if those malicioius links are what the Internet Archive has right now. If someone has the time/patience they could compare the links in the most recent archived version, to older archived versions and see if they are the same. If yes, then the internet archive's current version will become my new bookmark.

Reactions: BLinux