combining two fusion-io 356gb chips onto one card?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Oflyttbar

Nov 4, 2017
Hello all!

I have two Fusion-io drive2 356GB cards and I've noticed that there's only 1 memory slot occupied (out of three slots total) on each card. So I thought maybe I could combine the two cards together by taking the chip off one card and putting it on the other in the second slot. When I do this, I get an error that the card is running in minimal mode when I run fio-status. Here is the output:

C:\Windows\system32>fio-status

Found 1 ioMemory device in this system
Driver version: 3.2.15 build 1699

Adapter: Single Controller Adapter
Fusion-io ioDrive2 365GB, Product Number:F00-001-365G-CS-0001
External Power: NOT connected
PCIe Power limit threshold: 24.75W
Connected ioMemory modules:
fct0: Product Number:F00-001-365G-CS-0001

fct0 Status unknown: Driver is in MINIMAL MODE:
Device has unsupported NAND
ioDrive2 Adapter Controller, Product Number:F00-001-365G-CS-0001
!! ---> There are active errors or warnings on this device! Read below for details.
Located in slot 0 Center of ioDrive2 Adapter Controller
PCI:04:00.0, Slot Number:1
Firmware v7.1.17, rev 116786 Public
Geometry and capacity information not available.
Internal temperature: 41.83 degC, max 42.33 degC

ACTIVE WARNINGS:
The ioMemory is currently running in a minimal state.

My guess is that it needs an external power connected in order to support more chips on one card?
I have the exact same firmware's on both cards (updated to the latest on both) so I don't think a firmware mismatch is the issue.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Yeah, that's not supported in any way.

The NAND itself has metadata on it that contains a block mapping for the entire drive, you can't simply slap on another NAND pack and have the FPGA accept it.

At the least, you'd need a blank LEB map from a 765GB drive and force it onto the newly-assembled drive, and then perform a few days of writes to the card so that the driver/firmware can find all of the bad blocks and re-map them.

I also seem to remember the FPGA needing a custom tweak as well, so you'd probably need a jtag interface and pull the image from a working 765 and push that onto the card you are trying to make. Even then, I'm still not sure it would work.

-- Dave

Reactions: Oflyttbar