Cloud backup options vs offsite backup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
So my unlimited backup cloud with SOS backup is ending in April and I just got a quote from SOS for 209.99 per year for 800GB. I backup my home data stored on WS2012R2. Currently the backup is taking 500GB of storage space.

Because its ending and i dont want to spend 200+ a year on it, I want to see what options others are using for cloud and I also want to compare cloud to what others are doing for off site backups.

Use case I'm looking for:
My use case is just provide 3rd layer of data backups. I currently have WS2012r2 backup files to second HDD and I periodically copy the files to a usb3 HDD and disconnect it from the server. I dont need any special features. The data needs to be encrypted prior to uploading, either by application itself or 3rd party. Ideally it should be a simple process, IE select files, add encryption and upload during a certain window of time.

I'm not looking to move the data off of WS2012R2 for the time being. So solution like freenas to freenas isn't an option.

I have an old amd fx-6100 cpu, mb, case that i can use as a starting point for 2nd location pc. I will need to get a new hdd for it. (possibly 2 for redundancy.) Total storage on WS2012R2 is 6TB, only using 4.x due to files and client backups.

Idea and comments are welcomed.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
You have lots of options...I'll just list one. Certainly others will chime in.

Amazon Cloud Drive - unlimited storage for $59.99/year. Their "sync" software is kinda like Dropbox, but not really mature yet. However there are lots of third-party tools (both free and paid) that will manage backup and/or sync to it.

Under the covers is basically S3, so rock solid foundation.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
When i looked at amazon, i didnt care for their terms, in particular:
3.3 Our Use of Your Files. We may use, access, and retain Your Files in order to provide the Services to you, enforce the terms of the Agreement, and improve our services, and you give us all permissions we need to do so. These permissions include, for example, the rights to copy Your Files, modify Your Files to enable access in different formats, use information about Your Files to organize them on your behalf, and access Your Files to provide technical support. Amazon respects your privacy and Your Files are subject to the Amazon.com Privacy Notice located at www.amazon.com/privacy.

I guess if the files are encrypted prior to upload they cant do anything to them?

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I guess if the files are encrypted prior to upload they cant do anything to them?

I imagine it's mostly to let them move the data between servers and such. I would encrypt anything I send to any cloud provider unless I wanted to post it on Facebook though. :)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Co-Lo a 1U with bandwidth bundled and do your own off-site?
Lease a dedicated with bundled bandwidth and again do your own off site?

Compare above to S3 prices and write own script or use backup software to schedule backups that fit within S3 budget and retention schedule.

Reactions: marcoi

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
@T_Minus I like your suggestions but overkill for me. I just tried Syncovery and amazon cloud drive. So far I like it.

just testing it out now with some of the encryption features. I like this one :)

Screen shot of files copied on to ACD
upload_2017-3-25_18-14-15.png

Eric M.

Jun 22, 2017
I use ElephantDrive!
Price & Storage Free for 2GB $9.95 for 1,000GB $39.95 for 2,000GB!
-Eric