Cheap New Dual LGA2011 2U Barebone With 12 Bays

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

svt3391

Feb 11, 2016
With the very affordable Xeon E5 2670 CPUs, I think almost all new LGA 2011 motherboards are gone by now. I have been watching barebone systems for a while, and found an ebay seller who I bought several times before recently lowered their prices on many of their new dual LGA2011 barebone systems last week.

New dual LGA2011 system $399.

I bought one 1U system from them before, which has exactly the same motherboard as in the listing. I am not used to the loud fan noise when booting up, also the 1U runs out of drive space very quickly. That's why I am looking at a 2U unit with many bays. However, in terms of the quality of the board, the build quality is on par with the other top brands such as Super Micro or Intel that I had experience with. It has 2 1GB ports and 1 BMC port, 1 mini-SAS port and 16 memory slots. Currently I have two E5 2670 and 128GB 10600 RDIMM, running VMware ESXi 6U2, and it idles at 75W. It was very stable since I installed ESXi 2 months ago. I only rebooted it one time to upgrade from ESXi 6U1 to 6U2.

I found the one I listed above to be a good deal, because of the new Chenbro 2U chassis with 12 bays (those hard drive caddie are 2.5/3.5 compatible and is $8.99 each from MacMall and $9.99 each from CDW, so that's over $100 there). The power supply is rated 80Plus, not sure what grade though. But it is a Seasonic unit, so the quality shouldn't be bad.

Looks like they have 5 in stock and they also have other configurations with different Chenbro 1U/2U chassis. I am considering picking up this 2U unit and throw in a M1015/H200/H310 in IT mode and put FreeNAS in a VM to make an AIO. I believe they have some haggle room. I offered $360 when my item was listed at $399, and they countered with $390, and finally accepted my counter to meet in the middle at $375.

A month ago this system was listed for $699. Right now they are $399 (same as my 1U -- maybe they want to sell off their stock?). I saw people buying used Quanta barebone for $299 that does not come with drive bay and that was considered a good deal, then this one probably will not disappoint.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marsh and epicurean