Cheap 40gbe switch NOT ebay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jason Hirsch

Feb 12, 2018
For a variety of reasons I can't go the same route I went at home.

I've seen FS.com referenced here a couple of times, and I found one of their switches there that's within budget (3k). N5850-48S6Q . Has 6x 40gbe ports and 48 10gbe sfp+ ports.

I need 5 40gbe ports and a smattering of sfp+ ports, as well as some RJ45 ports for other stuff.

As a pretty light neophyte in the switch OS, if I go this route will I be able to just throw everything together and have it work? I'm not really sure what they're offering from that page- a naked switch where I put an OS on it?

My apologies for the confusion. The Netgear unit I had spec'd out just went up in price by 2k and I'm scrambling to cover it.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
They ship with os installed. Im guessing you can just plug stuff in and it'll all be "vlan 1" access ports. But iirc its pretty simular to cisco syntax so you shouldnt have any bigger issues.. its pretty simple to configure really.. - if you need help you can throw me a msg and i'll do what I can

Reactions: Jason Hirsch

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Looks like they have an atom c2538 on board. I've personally seen those fail so unless they have the new fixed version that's something to think about.