Celestica Seastone DX010 32Port 100G QSFP28 $250

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

applepi

Jun 15, 2013
Mine was received in okay condition, these are definitely not new stock switches they have tons of scratches and sharpie marks on mine. They seem to power up I'll need to flash SONiC on it and test.

rkroelin

Jan 1, 2022
You’re probably right. Mine had everything in original seeming plastic, including the accessories etc but already had a sonic install.

I was able to reload sonic just fine but haven’t had much time to tinker beyond one 40GbE connection to a Mell switch.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
@rkroelin did yours come with 4 post rails? Rails are part of the accessories. Most sellers just include power cords, console cable, and rack ears. The reputable sellers like DedicatedDeals not only place the switch in a plastic bag, nicely wrapped, but they also have styrofoam inserts like most manufacturers as well as a desiccant moisture absorber. Most others just use plastic bubble and/or injection foam.

New/open box switches will have all that along with bonding wire, cage nuts and screws, and, of course, 4 post rails. These switches are also unique in that their serial numbers are printed on a flexible piece of plastic on the front right side that must be unpeeled and wrapped beneath the ears/rails so they're visible after racking. Most used switches will have this plastic dangling in the breeze.

rkroelin

Jan 1, 2022
@rkroelin did yours come with 4 post rails? Rails are part of the accessories. Most sellers just include power cords, console cable, and rack ears. The reputable sellers like DedicatedDeals not only place the switch in a plastic bag, nicely wrapped, but they also have styrofoam inserts like most manufacturers as well as a desiccant moisture absorber. Most others just use plastic bubble and/or injection foam.

New/open box switches will have all that along with bonding wire, cage nuts and screws, and, of course, 4 post rails. These switches are also unique in that their serial numbers are printed on a flexible piece of plastic on the front right side that must be unpeeled and wrapped beneath the ears/rails so they're visible after racking. Most used switches will have this plastic dangling in the breeze.
Yep it came with all of that, perfectly wrapped cables, screws etc. But the tag was indeed dangling (plus the OS install). Rather nice job of packaging it up.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Then that's a pretty great deal. Can't buy rails unless you're a partner. The newer one has better rails.

Just curious what size is the DRAM and mSATA SSD.

NOS is specified by the customer.

EDIT: Listing now shows Open Box

Last edited:

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
Just an update, powered switch and installed new Sonic image, lowered fans speeds a bit (still loud, need to put it on closet). Was able to get couple of 40G/100G connections successfully.

Should not contain Atom bug either:

admin@sonic:~$ setpci -s 00:00.0 8.b

What guide did you follow to get sonic on these?

GuiltyBlob

Jul 22, 2020
Ordered 2 (separately shipped to Japan) came with everything (except rails) even with USB-A to console cable (doubt it's original). The switch booted instantly into Sonic-OS quick grub magic and I have password resetted. Haven't tested any more but looks like everything is working.

1709606883210.jpeg

Attachments

Karpo

Mar 4, 2023
What guide did you follow to get sonic on these?
I used this Youtube video details and some googling around:

guide is comprehensive and allows one to update Sonic to recent version. I would suggest to upgrade Onie first though as default ssh was so old that you cannot ssh into Celestica without messing around with ssh cipher changes. Likely need to have RJ45 to USB console cable in order to get to system, mine had existing Sonic with password installed so new install was necessary.

I also setup my switch to be L2 only like explained in video, also needed to use RS in FEC settings for 100G DAC cables.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I'm aware of that channel but never viewed that video before. It's very good. His others on Seastone are also good. While he speaks with an accent I find it kind of soothing and engaging--not sure why.

The DX010 can't use the latest ONIE because the switch is too old and nobody has put the time to backport all the newer features into the Debian9 branch. One should build the last release supported for Seastone, Smallstone, ... though. Release Debian9BuildEnvironment: Last release for platforms using a 4.x kernel and older components. · opencomputeproject/onie.

The biggest pain is the uninstall script. It zeroes out the flash which is why uninstalling a NOS can take so long. In a lab environment NOS partitions could be deleted rather than zeroed. I often use the console as I have a console server for that purpose. Installing a NOS through USB is also pretty convenient. All that is documented on the ONIE User Guide. User Guide — Open Network Install Environment documentation

For the uninitiated it could seem daunting but just make sure to choose ONIE Recovery each time otherwise the install will spam the console, even though it could be stopped through another command. Other commands are available to perform install and uninstall. There is an option for Embed ONIE. If that is chosen the NOS partitions will also be removed. Instead choose Update ONIE instead to upgrade when there is an existing NOS.

GuiltyBlob

Jul 22, 2020
My another unit arrived! 2018 model, but what a surprise the same place just No +1 and even same day last login and IP address 1710041447974.png

applepi

Jun 15, 2013
This switch really sucks trying to build an image with ICCPD for the past week and after HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS of trying to build the shitty sonic firmware I think I'm giving up. I cannot for the life of me figure out why it wont ****ing build. Just errors out with no logs no error. All of the latest firmware will memory leak after a day or so.

1710941953423.png

GuiltyBlob

Jul 22, 2020
Ordered one last week, got cancelled today because it failed to test supposedly, guess that means they are either out or not willing to ship to EU
Yeah I got the same message after I ordered, but they did shipped using eBay International shipping to japan no issue.