Can 8-pin PCIe be adapted to Molex?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

porkload138

Nov 21, 2020
I have 3 unused 8-pin PCIe cables in my 24 bay Supermicro chassis. All existing molex connectors are powering the backplane. Theres only 1 SATA which is being used for the SSD. Is there an adapter to go from 8-pin to molex? I can only find the other way.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
no, because 4pin molex has 12v, 5v and ground.
pci-e has only 12v and ground. so you miss 5v from pci-e....

EDIT: why don't use 4pin molex Y-splitters ?? or 1 molex >> 3 molex splitters ?
or do you have fdd-power port (for floppy disk) ? you can use then adapters from 1 fdd >> 4 or 5 molex converters

porkload138

Nov 21, 2020
no, because 4pin molex has 12v, 5v and ground.
pci-e has only 12v and ground. so you miss 5v from pci-e....

EDIT: why don't use 4pin molex Y-splitters ?? or 1 molex >> 3 molex splitters ?
or do you have fdd-power port (for floppy disk) ? you can use then adapters from 1 fdd >> 4 or 5 molex converters
Thanks for the explanation.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in asking this next question. Hopefully someone can fill-in my blanks a little.
In this situation, is it possible to change the hardware that the server PSUs connect to? I'm not sure what these are called. They also seem very difficult to access on this chassis.

porkload138

Nov 21, 2020
I can use Y-Splitters I just wasn't sure how much power would/should be drawn through a single cable and due to the location of the existing cables. The cables lie at the bottom of the chassis where they plug-in to the backplane and I need the molex connector up top to hookup my SAS expander card. I asked about the 8-pins because they are closer to the card, as is the single SATA connector.

I'll probably go with a Molex Y-splitter/extension combo.

Thanks for the suggestion.

thedman07

Sep 14, 2020
Thanks for the explanation.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in asking this next question. Hopefully someone can fill-in my blanks a little.
In this situation, is it possible to change the hardware that the server PSUs connect to? I'm not sure what these are called. They also seem very difficult to access on this chassis.
You can try to find a different power distributor that fits the chassis and the PSUs that you have. It would just be easier to use a splitter.

Reactions: porkload138

porkload138

Nov 21, 2020
Thanks for the answer! I've already ordered the molex splitter and extension. I ask for future reference and to learn whether these parts are something this is generally available for server customization or needs to be purchased from manufacturer or scavenged from other servers.

Thanks again!