Calling all elec engineers up for a challenge

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Hey all, remember this post of mine?

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/m1015-woes.3811/

So I have a proposition, I have three of these still, I think they can be brought back from the dead based on that post and would be willing to order surface mount fuse, pay for ship if I could just get someone here to perform open heart HBA surgery. Would be willing to let the doc keep one of the HBA's for services. Looks like the process would entail something along the lines of (quote shamelessly stolen from Mr. F out of previous thread):

I should have been more clear about the replacement process - it isn't easy. You will need a temperature controller soldering station, solder wick, flux and pretty decent skills with all of the above to do this. I have been meaning to make a guide with photos but haven't had the time.

You would need to:
  1. Remove the old fuse, either with a soldering iron or hot air rework tool, making sure not to remove any surrounding components.
  2. Clean the pads with solder wick and flux to remove all old solder
  3. Replace the fuse, again with either a soldering iron or hot air and same precautions as step 1.

Here is the part I used. This was over a year ago that I selected this part, so please double check me to make sure it's correct. I selected it based on markings and colors from the blown fuse removed from my card, but no guarantees come with the recommendation of this specific fuse. C1Q 2 Bel Fuse Inc | 507-1080-1-ND | DigiKey

Let me know if I have any takers, otherwise these are headed to the trash. Sure would hate to throw 3x $75-100 HBA's out if a $2 part can bring them back to life and good working condition.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Cool, let me order those SMF's up (I'll get an extra just in case one is bad or we snafu one), will send you fuses, cards, $10 to ship cards back (hopefully you get one free outta the deal for your svcs and can get all 3 working again and ship me two back). What timeframe/turnaround do you think we are looking at...couple 2-3 weeks?

PM me over an addy and any other details I may be missing.

So I assume (and forgive me for asking if it's a silly ?) that you have the necessary skillset and tools/env to perform surgery on these right?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Who's my hero of the day...TechIsCool that's who! My good man successfully revived 2 of the 3 cards and is now the proud owner of a free (minus his time/labor) M1015 HBA pre-flashed to v19 IT mode!

Thanks again buddy! Be looking forward to my frankenzombie (back from the dead) M1015 to arrive.

Reactions: Aestr and Patrick

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I ever tell ya how ridiculously awesome this site is Patrick? :-D

DAMN I love our lil' corner of the internet!