Brocade CNA's

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Anyone have any experience with Brocade 1020 CNA's? I've found some sources for picking them up as cheap as $90 each, which seems pretty good for a 2 port 10GbE capable NIC. Best I can tell it looks like they require an _active_ SFP+ TwinAx cable to be inexpensive, likely Brocade branded for better support. I'm told that in general CNA's that do 10GbE/FCoE can work without issue as 'just' a 10GbE Ethernet NIC, which is all I want. My internal resources at Dell suggest that a PowerConnect 8024F might be the most inexpensive way to go if I can find one off-lease for low cost.

But I figured I'd ask here, as this seems to be the place for home-labbers and those trying to get good things done on the cheap, where possible.

Thanks in advance,

Avram

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
I have two of these in production. One is in my ZFS server and the other in a Hyper-V box. Both are connected via a 3m Brocade active SPF+ cable P/N: 58-10000027-01.

They work well, but the issue I had was with finding drivers. When I first installed them I was running OpenIndiana directly on the ZFS box and Brocade had yet to release Solaris 11 drivers. I wanted to try FreeNAS 8 or even ZFS on FreeBSD9.0, but Brocade doesn't support BSD at all. I have yet to come across an OS with built-in drivers for these, so make sure the OS you want to run has drivers available on Brocade's site.

I ended up installing ESXi 5.0 (which Brocade does have drivers for) and running OpenIndiana as a guest with the vmxnet3 driver and the HBAs in passthrough. It's been stable and I don't have any complaints.

They are good cards and I can see up to 500MB/s - 600MB/s of throughput via iSCSI between my ZFS server and the Hyper-V host. CPU usage seems low, but I don't really keep track of it.

Ninja Edit: One other thing. They seem to be pretty "Brocade centric" in that there are very few non-Brocade devices these will connect with. Unless you want to connect them to each other then make sure you have a Brocade switch, cables, etc. Though, I think I have seen some posts on Brocade's site regarding connecting to a Cisco Nexus and possibly an HP switch.

Thanks!!
Riley

Last edited:

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Good to know, okay so this should work :) As mentioned, I have a pretty good resource at Dell, and he said with the later firmware on the 8024F (which I've worked with, with Intel X520-DA2's and EQL's), they work just fine, he has sold a number of them in combination. So now I just need to find a switch. I'm not expecting they're going to be very happy with the 10GbE SFP+ modules in my PowerConnect 6248's.