boiling lava hot - 5TB Toshiba Surveillance Drives $120 (24/7 rated)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Hm... and I thought this was an outstanding deal... maybe people don't do 5TB drives?

6 left *still*

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Retail on these drives is $225. I don't know where you're getting your information.

Only drives I've seen come close to this price range is crap seagates. This is the first time one of my ebay alerts turned up a toshiba drive.

Rain

May 13, 2013
Hm... and I thought this was an outstanding deal... maybe people don't do 5TB drives?
Even though they (supposedly) were only used for "[less than 400 hours light use] for software compatibility testing," they're still used. HDDs are like cars, take em' for a spin and they're immediately worth half as much. I, and I'm sure many others, won't trust data to used HDDs (even with proper backups, because restoring takes time). That, and I like to be 100% sure I'm getting the full warranty period when I purchase drives.

Toshiba also doesn't make these surveillance drives any more, as far as I can tell, which means you're likely going to get a X300 5TB if you warrenty one a year from now, which is a non-24/7 spec'd drive.

This definitely isn't a bad deal by any means, it's just not amazing.

Last edited:

Northern

Dec 2, 2015
I have a concern about using purpose build Surveillance / Video drives for data. I remember reading something to the effect of "Don't use Surveillance / Video drive for data because the firmware has been optimized for mostly write AND to possibly keep writing in case of errors (and not spend to much time to recover errors ). The theory was something like this, if during a video recording a few pixels/frames are lost here and there no big deal as long as all video streams keep being recorded. This would be a GOOD feature on a VIDEO drive. But in a DATA drive I want my drive firmware to prioritize data INTEGRITY. Has anyone heard this or are concerned about it?

Rain

May 13, 2013
Has anyone heard this or are concerned about it?
I have, though I'm not entirely sure about the truth of it. I know surveillance drives are very write-optimized, though. The firmware intelligently keeps the head in the "right" place to write streaming data to the disk.

Last edited:

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I have a concern about using purpose build Surveillance / Video drives for data. I remember reading something to the effect of "Don't use Surveillance / Video drive for data because the firmware has been optimized for mostly write AND to possibly keep writing in case of errors (and not spend to much time to recover errors ). The theory was something like this, if during a video recording a few pixels/frames are lost here and there no big deal as long as all video streams keep being recorded. This would be a GOOD feature on a VIDEO drive. But in a DATA drive I want my drive firmware to prioritize data INTEGRITY. Has anyone heard this or are concerned about it?
I looked up some of this when I saw this post, and did not find any credible source to verify the claim that the surveillance disks should perform fewer integrity checks.

What I did find was some some articles (here's one from Synology) mentioning, as you also wrote, that surveillance disks are optimized for writing and random access performance can suffer.