B650D4U-2L2T/BCM boot from USB stuck

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fcarucci

Apr 19, 2023
Hello,

I'm building a server based on ASRock B650D4U-2T/BCM. I'm trying to install Proxmox from a USB stick. I used the same stick to install successfully on another device.

Boot is stuck on "Welcome to GRUB!".

I set up the boot order correctly in the bios (or at least what I think is correct). The USB stick is recognized in the BIOS. Everything seems ok to me, but it won't boot.

I've been trying different things and nothing has worked so far.
This is a list of what I've tried:
- I used a boot usb that I used before successfully to install proxmox
- I tried to install a debian iso specific for amd64 instead
- I tried the DD command from the Proxmox official guide both on Mac and on linux
- I tried to use BalenaEtcher on Mac
- I tried different usb ports

I know it's trying to boot in the USB because if I boot without the USB it goes straight to the bios (as expected). As far as I understand the Proxmox installer is multi arch and supports UEFI. I've been told to enable the Storage OpROM Policy in BIOS’ CSM, but I can't find the option.

Anyone knows what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Glad you got to this point :)

Could you try inserting the installer ISO via the iKVM/IPMI interface and booting/installing from that, instead of the USB stick?

fcarucci

Apr 19, 2023
Interesting idea! How do I that? I can't seem to find an option in the IPMI interface. I'm narrowing down the problem to having to create a UEFI bootable USB disk. But I don't have a Win machine to do it with Rufus.

Edit: I found it. Trying...

..... Welcome to Grub! :D
(still stuck)

Last edited:

fcarucci

Apr 19, 2023
Oh well. I finally have a Proxmox installed. Thanks j_h_o for all your help. The problem was that the installer output was not coming out the HDMI but somewhere else and I managed to find it via the IPMI remote control randomly.

Ry-Xen

Jul 5, 2023
Oh well. I finally have a Proxmox installed. Thanks j_h_o for all your help. The problem was that the installer output was not coming out the HDMI but somewhere else and I managed to find it via the IPMI remote control randomly.
You can set the primary video output adapter in the bios - see this post for more info (and for future reference):