ASRock Rack i9-13900K stuck at 5ghz/235 watts

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
So I know this isnt the type of thing you would typically see on STH forums, but since this is an ASRock Rack motherboard I thought i'd try as someone here might be more familiar with their BIOS than me.

So I recently built a new PC, and everything that i've read has said that my i9-13900K should trying to turbo itself so much that it thermal throttles and should hit 100 degrees Celsius, my experience however has been the opposite of that. Running Cinebench R23 I never get above 68 degrees Celsius for CPU package with a ~35500 score, and power draw is limited to ~235 watts with the P core ratios stuck at 50x. The BIOS defaults to a target P core ratio of 58x for two cores and 55x for the other 6. Does anyone know why my chip is presumably power limiting itself and what BIOS settings might be wrong? The BIOS settings are mostly at defaults, the only things that should be changed is the DRAM Frequency was set to 4800Mhz (from 4400Mhz), and in hopes for increasing my power draw, I set CPU Core Unlimited Current Limit and GT Unlimited Current Limit to Enabled. As this is a workstation/server motherboard I'm sure its settings dont default to what you would see in a typical gaming board. Please note that the W680 chipset this motherboard has is the same thing as a Z690 but also enables ECC memory as it seems that Intel's plans are phase out the Xeon E series.

CPU: Intel i9-13900K
CPU Cooling: EKWB Nucleus 360mm AIO - fans replaced with 120mm Noctua Industrial PPC 3000RPM fans at 100% speed. Thermal Grizzly contact frame installed with a calibrated torque driver to 0.045nm. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme thermal paste.
Disk: Samsung PM9A3 2TB
GPU: Nvidia RTX 4900 Founders Edition
Memory: 2x Crucial 32GB DDR5 4800 ECC UDIMMs
Motherboard: ASRock Rack W680D4U-2L2T/G5
Power Supply: Vetroo GV 1000W
BIOS Settings: Case:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
everything that i've read has said that my i9-13900K should trying to turbo itself so much that it thermal throttles and should hit 100 degrees Celsius
no. there are default limits.
you have to use OC BIOS settings or intel XTU to go over stock limits.
because OC voids warranty(officialy) this is not done by default settings.

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
Most settings in XTU are greyed out. As I mentioned in my OP, it isnt hitting the default P core ratios. This isnt even about overclocking, this is getting it to run within spec.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
The BIOS defaults to a target P core ratio of 58x for two cores and 55x for the other 6
non AVX. will be reduced at AVX2.
you have windows installed, so windows controls not BIOS (normaly) maybe you have to switch from balanced to performance power mode.
should trying to turbo itself so much that it thermal throttles and should hit 100 degrees Celsius
thermal throttling reduces clocks to 800mhz, not funny.