asrock n3150m - exsi custom image?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MESSERCHMIDT

Apr 16, 2015
hello,

purchased a asrock n3150m matx board for $100 cdn (ASRock > N3150M

basically a lower clocked pentium n3700. It was in stock, while the n3700 variant was not. For $20 more I would have taken the n3700 variant if available.

I got the matx version versus itx due to the extra pcie slots; I have some spare intel dual lan pcie cards, sil3124 sata cards,etc. Had some spare ddr3, a spare kingston 128gb ssd, and a 350w psu. bought a new case. everything is working. updated to the latest 1.10 bios.

this is a toy for me to mess around with, and may become the pfsense / xpenology nas / vpn gateway box at my parents house...

the system is up and running. I cannot get hyper v server 2012 r2 to install as it gives me a hypervisor error upon reboot and does not finish the install. Tried server 2012 r2, which works until I install the hyper-v add-on, and the same issue. Hyper v server 2016 preview 3 works.

I could not get exsi 5.5u2 or 6.0 with u1 update to work. Both hang at " Relocating modules and starting up the kernel". I attempted to patch version 6 with the sata drivers using one of the tools i found online and a powerscript - no dice.

I tried creating custom images as per: How to fix ESXi on Intel NUC malformed Manufacturer and Model | Virten.net and ESXi 6.0 Image for Intel NUC | Virten.net

Recall, it basically the same thing as the braswell nuc. I have disabled parallel port and serial ports, changed onboard video ram settings, disabled the on-board realtek lan, etc. and no dice. I am at my wits end.

I installed windows 10 and installed vmware workstation 12, and it works perfectly. I would prefer to avoid this option. Any ideas how I could get esxi 6 to work on this?

Last edited:

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
hello,

purchased a asrock n3150m matx board for $100 cdn (ASRock > N3150M

basically a lower clocked pentium n3700. It was in stock, while the n3700 variant was not. For $20 more I would have taken the n3700 variant if available.

I got the matx version versus itx due to the extra pcie slots; I have some spare intel dual lan pcie cards, sil3124 sata cards,etc. Had some spare ddr3, a spare kingston 128gb ssd, and a 350w psu. bought a new case. everything is working. updated to the latest 1.10 bios.

this is a toy for me to mess around with, and may become the pfsense / xpenology nas / vpn gateway box at my parents house...

the system is up and running. I cannot get hyper v server 2012 r2 to install as it gives me a hypervisor error upon reboot and does not finish the install. Tried server 2012 r2, which works until I install the hyper-v add-on, and the same issue.

I could not get exsi 5.5u2 or 6.0 with u1 update to work. Both hang at " Relocating modules and starting up the kernel". I attempted to patch version 6 with the sata drivers using one of the tools i found online and a powerscript - no dice.

I tried creating custom images as per: How to fix ESXi on Intel NUC malformed Manufacturer and Model | Virten.net and ESXi 6.0 Image for Intel NUC | Virten.net

Recall, it basically the same thing as the braswell nuc. I have disabled parallel port and serial ports, changed onboard video ram settings, disabled the on-board realtek lan, etc. and no dice. I am at my wits end.

I installed windows 10 and installed vmware workstation 12, and it works perfectly. I would prefer to avoid this option. Any ideas how I could get exsi to work on this?
Just to make sure, Have you confirmed the platform and BIOS settings support VT-x?

MESSERCHMIDT

Apr 16, 2015
yes it does, and same is enabled. loaded windows 10 pro and vmware workstation 12, and it works properly with that

i am somehow screwing up the custom iso part is my guess

canta

Nov 26, 2014
as far as I know, the issue is on loading video module.

I have FoxCon d180s J1800( + dual port i340nic ) that esxi 5.5/6.0 refused to install.
I move to proxmox 3.4 and is up and running.
proxmox is failing to load some video modules too and blindly load i915 modules that works "OK".

I knonw linux kernel 4.X should support without issue.

on esxi, they need to update to support low entry intel video chipset

MESSERCHMIDT

Apr 16, 2015
  • after much screwing around, i figured out how to patch the iso, but still not luck as it hangs on the "Relocating modules and starting up the kernel…”

I downloaded the latest iso of esxi 6.0 to c:\exsi (pardon the error) and downloaded the following drivers from here: How to Install ESXi on 5th Gen Intel NUC (NIC and AHCI Fix) | Virten.net as the nuc has similar specs to my setup (minus the dual intel lan card which is supported in version 6). I then used VMware Front Experience: ESXi-Customizer-PS (VMware Front Experience: ESXi-Customizer-PS) in Power CLI to patch the iso:

"PowerCLI C:\exsi> .\ESXi-Customizer-PS-v2.4.ps1 -pkgdir c:\exsi

Script to build a customized ESXi installation ISO or Offline bundle using the VMware PowerCLI ImageBuilder snapin
    (Call with -help for instructions)

Logging to C:\Users\messe\AppData\Local\Temp\ESXi-Customizer-PS.log ...

Running with PowerShell version 5.0 and VMware vSphere PowerCLI 6.0 Release 2 build 3056836

Connecting the VMware ESXi Online depot ... [OK]

Getting Imageprofiles, please wait ... [OK]

Using Imageprofile ESXi-6.0.0-20150902001-standard ...
    (dated 09/03/2015 14:04:26, AcceptanceLevel: PartnerSupported,
    For more information, see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2124725.)

Loading Offline bundles and VIB files from c:\exsi ...
    Loading C:\exsi\net-e1000e-3.1.0.2-glr-offline_bundle.zip ... [OK]
    Add VIB net-e1000e 3.1.0.2-glr [New AcceptanceLevel: CommunitySupported] [OK, replaced 2.5.4-6vmw.600.0.0.2494585]
    Loading C:\exsi\e1000e-3.1.0.2-glr.vib ... [OK]
    Add VIB net-e1000e 3.1.0.2-glr [IGNORED, already added]
    Loading C:\exsi\sata-xahci-1.27-1.x86_64.vib ... [OK]
    Add VIB sata-xahci 1.27-1 [OK, added]

Exporting the Imageprofile to 'C:\exsi\ESXi-6.0.0-20150902001-standard-customized.iso'. Please be patient ...

All done."

I get the same issue as it starts up and hangs at "Relocating modules and starting up the kernel…”

After a google search I found: Dell CS24 ESXi 5.5 Install Stuck "Relocating modules and starting up the kernel..." | RobWillis.info

and on start up hit "shift+o" and entered "runweasel ignoreHeadless=True" and hit enter. Same issue of it hanging on "Relocating modules and starting up the kernel…”

I can install windows 10 and use VM Workstation 12 without issue, but I would prefer to simply use esxi 6 directly.

Reactions: canta

canta

Nov 26, 2014
well, I already tried tricks that posted for bay trail..
none was working. after hours , I just said " scrap esxi!!!!". I installed proxmox hahaha

it is up and running now!!! 24X7

• after much screwing around, i figured out how to patch the iso, but still not luck as it hangs on the "Relocating modules and starting up the kernel…”

I downloaded the latest iso of esxi 6.0 to c:\exsi (pardon the error) and downloaded the following drivers from here: How to Install ESXi on 5th Gen Intel NUC (NIC and AHCI Fix) | Virten.net as the nuc has similar specs to my setup (minus the dual intel lan card which is supported in version 6). I then used VMware Front Experience: ESXi-Customizer-PS (VMware Front Experience: ESXi-Customizer-PS) in Power CLI to patch the iso:

"PowerCLI C:\exsi> .\ESXi-Customizer-PS-v2.4.ps1 -pkgdir c:\exsi

Script to build a customized ESXi installation ISO or Offline bundle using the VMware PowerCLI ImageBuilder snapin
    (Call with -help for instructions)

Logging to C:\Users\messe\AppData\Local\Temp\ESXi-Customizer-PS.log ...

Running with PowerShell version 5.0 and VMware vSphere PowerCLI 6.0 Release 2 build 3056836

Connecting the VMware ESXi Online depot ... [OK]

Getting Imageprofiles, please wait ... [OK]

Using Imageprofile ESXi-6.0.0-20150902001-standard ...
    (dated 09/03/2015 14:04:26, AcceptanceLevel: PartnerSupported,
    For more information, see VMware KB: VMware ESXi 6.0, Patch ESXi-6.0.0-20150902001-standard.)

Loading Offline bundles and VIB files from c:\exsi ...
    Loading C:\exsi\net-e1000e-3.1.0.2-glr-offline_bundle.zip ... [OK]
    Add VIB net-e1000e 3.1.0.2-glr [New AcceptanceLevel: CommunitySupported] [OK, replaced 2.5.4-6vmw.600.0.0.2494585]
    Loading C:\exsi\e1000e-3.1.0.2-glr.vib ... [OK]
    Add VIB net-e1000e 3.1.0.2-glr [IGNORED, already added]
    Loading C:\exsi\sata-xahci-1.27-1.x86_64.vib ... [OK]
    Add VIB sata-xahci 1.27-1 [OK, added]

Exporting the Imageprofile to 'C:\exsi\ESXi-6.0.0-20150902001-standard-customized.iso'. Please be patient ...

All done."

I get the same issue as it starts up and hangs at "Relocating modules and starting up the kernel…”

After a google search I found: Dell CS24 ESXi 5.5 Install Stuck "Relocating modules and starting up the kernel..." | RobWillis.info

and on start up hit "shift+o" and entered "runweasel ignoreHeadless=True" and hit enter. Same issue of it hanging on "Relocating modules and starting up the kernel…”

I can install windows 10 and use VM Workstation 12 without issue, but I would prefer to simply use esxi 6 directly.