Anyone seen a ECC event log on SM X8 mb's?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
I know this is an usual question, but has *anyone* every seen a ECC error in the IPMI event log of a X8 series supermicro motherboard (ie a X8DTE , X8DTI, X8*** ect..).

The reason i ask, is i have a few, known bad sticks of DDR3 ECC ram here, and i also have several X8xxx MB's, and ive been running memtest86, memgold boot, and memtest64, in some cases 24/7 for 2 weeks straight, and im still not seeing any ECC errors post on any of these MBs IPMI event logs. Even the X8s that we pulled the sticks from, never showed an ECC error (ive torn threw every bios option to see if there is a way to enable or disable ECC messages, but all event logging is enabled..)

On my X9 and X7 Supermicro MBs i see the errors pretty often and then know its time to change a specific ram chip. But to this day ive yet to ever see an ecc error in the event log on a X8 MB (it could be that ive only had X8s running for about a year now, but this just seems really weird).
(to be clear im talking about the IPMIview -> Event Log , or in the BIOS even log, where it will say MEMORY - Correctable ECC error at 2A ram slot , for example).

thanks!