Anyone looking to colocate a box or two?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I'm likely going to colo the cluster in Las Vegas, NV. 1/4 locking Cab + 50mbps. Would only cost me ~$200 more/ month to move to a 1/2 cab with 100mbps, and would have 3x the power (15A) than the 1/4 cab.

Just thinking that if anyone had a machine or two that they wanted to colo, might be able to share a bit of the infrastructure. Would also allow me to add a larger backup/ storage server.

This really started life as a nitrobass24 idea.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Hmmm sounds perfect for a small XenDesktop setup. Wish I was in the market right now, this is quite a deal.

Which colo are you going with?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
A few big considerations on this:

• They were not the least expensive by far, but Rob is a STH reader.
  • Las Vegas is known as being fairly stable from a natural disaster perspective.
  • Tons of flights from the bay area.
  • Unlike some locations, can always get a room, take the girlfriend to a show before/ after working on the setup if necessary.
  • They have great customer reviews. I had seen them, decided to go with a lower price provider, but then I had many folks in passing provide recommendations for Fiberhub.
  • Bay area colocation is not easy at all.

My second place choice was actually Dacentec in NC as those guys are also have a pretty good reputation and are inexpensive.