Anyone have experience with this 40x28mm fan?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

unphased

Jun 9, 2022

I'm not able to find clear information on its RPM rating but based on the stated power consumption, it may be at a suitable 9k or 10k RPM range.

This is as part of looking for fan improvements to my SX6036 switch. Trying to get something with around half of an inch H2O of static pressure without breaking the bank at 20 bucks per fan.

This item looks interesting as it seems like it may have the correct fan header for my switch. Although I may still need to swap their pinout around, it at least looks like the right kind of plug. I'm going to order two to experiment with. One idea i have is that high speed (e.g. ordinarily too loud) 12V fans sometimes work well hooked up on 5 volts (USB, raspi header, etc), so hopefully that will make it not junk if they turn out unsuitable.

The first option was Delta FFB0412VHN. But they are expensive. The switch comes with FFB0412SHN. I also found a potentially suitable Supermicro fan, FAN-0100L4. Again, expensive. Even more than the Delta to purchase it.

Another possibility might be to add a resistor in series on the power line to lower the voltage going to the fans. This is what Noctua LNA adapters do. I'm a bit lazy to want to calculate the required resistor wattage rating for such a mod though.