Any feedback on the Seagate CS (Cloud Storage) Enterprise Drives.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Hi,

In my travels I came across the Seagate CS line of drives which seem to be fairly decently priced for Enterprise level (entry level) drives at 2TB for US$150.

Anyone have any feedback on them ?.

RB

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
The CS drives are like the WD Reds from what I can gather, a new firmware on a consumer drive.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
The CS drives are like the WD Reds from what I can gather, a new firmware on a consumer drive.
The feeling I am getting is that they are a step up. The Reds are consumber drives for arrays and the CS are entry level enterprise drives, i.e. they cross the line to the higher tier.

Comparing the Seagate CS 2TB specs with the WD Red 2TB specs there are a few differences.

Sustained transfer rate is 180MB/s (CS) vs 145MB/s (Red)
WD do not publish latency so no chance to compare
Power (idle): 3.4W (CS) vs 4.1W (Red).
Seagate don't publish the load power figures.
Warranty: Both have 3 years.
Sample Pricing: US$150 (CS) vs US$112 (Red)

In fact, comparing the specs for the CS and the ES.3 they are pretty close with only the Annualized Failure Rate being a notable exception (1.065% - CS, 0.63% - ES.3).

The ES.2 2TB is around US$185 and the ES.3 2TB is around US$360.

The CS seems like a pretty attractive option.

RB

Scout255

Feb 12, 2013
As far as unrecoverable error rate, the Seagate Constellation CS is equivalent to a consumer drive. It is 1 in 10^14, whereas true enterprise drives are 1 in 10^15 (Such as the ES.3) or 16 (such as Performance 10K)

Also, they did recently rename these to "Enterprise Value" from Constellation CS. Depending on where you buy them from they will call them one or the other, but they appear to be the same drive.

I have seen a few sales in Canada where these were around $60-70 / TB, so it really seems as though it is positioned as a faster alternative to the WD RED series

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Sorry RB, I should have been more clear. They are similar in their respective brands. Like the old SAT questions; The WD Red is to a WD Green as a Seagate CS is to a Seagate 7200.14. The CS is a better warranted and presumably better tested version of the consumer 7200.14

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Sorry RB, I should have been more clear. They are similar in their respective brands. Like the old SAT questions; The WD Red is to a WD Green as a Seagate CS is to a Seagate 7200.14. The CS is a better warranted and presumably better tested version of the consumer 7200.14
Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, probably or the pint sized brother of the ES ;).

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
As far as unrecoverable error rate, the Seagate Constellation CS is equivalent to a consumer drive. It is 1 in 10^14, whereas true enterprise drives are 1 in 10^15 (Such as the ES.3) or 16 (such as Performance 10K)

Also, they did recently rename these to "Enterprise Value" from Constellation CS. Depending on where you buy them from they will call them one or the other, but they appear to be the same drive.

I have seen a few sales in Canada where these were around $60-70 / TB, so it really seems as though it is positioned as a faster alternative to the WD RED series
Cool, thanks.

RB