Another kickstarter NAS project: UGREEN NAS might become a nice competitor for Synology and QNAP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
1. Kickstarter funded vaporware. Strike 1.
2. Can't tell if it is HW or SW RAID, but at those price points it's likely not HW RAID. in either case it means it's not using ZFS. Strike 2.
3. Remote access. Strike 3.

Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 10.41.28 AM.png

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
I saw some reviews of the Ugreen 4 bay on the internet and was intrigued. I have a DS920+ that I like, but I wish it had 10gbe - otherwise it serves the purpose it was designed to perform. I decided to pay my $5 to be part of the initial discounted bunch of users (EXTORTION I SAY, EXTORTION). I have never crowded funded anything. I was ignorant - I assumed that CF had already started and all I was signing up for was the ability to purchase at a discounted price. I just now paid for the right to get a unit sometime in June 2024! So my only hope is that Ugreen isn't going to pull out and steal my money. I learned something today.

Someone stated here on this forum rather than do the CF route they would wait for prices to go down on their own. I sort of agree with this philosophy - cause you know prices will come down due to compeition. Hoping Ugreen ships a refined product with better SW support.

Just my .02cents

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
I got email stating they raised 1.5 million dollars in 2 hours - 3055 backers. I can see delays in the future. Might as well sit on the $$$ and not spend it too early.