AMD Home ESXi w/TrueNAS Build Out

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TheTamago

Oct 29, 2022
Almost feeling semi happy with the VMware environment. TrueNAS HDD burn-in took about 7 days to finish with the solnet script. Pool and vDev are up and configured the SMB ACLs. Transfer between physical to vm burst up to about 110Mb on my 1Gb LAN so that is within reason. Found 1 snag in my networking where my management VMs is not capable of talking to the IPMI web console. If I am reading the data correctly, it just doesn't hit the gateway at all? (Will see about doing some Wireshark caps later this weekend)

Mikrotik Hap^2 Router on long-term OS 6.49? I have bridge/trunked a VLAN to all ports hat will handle the management and VMware network. DHCP from the vlan into ESXi works. IPMI is VLAN ID Tagged correctly and my physical system can talk without a problem on the same VLAN ID on the RealTek VirutalNIC with the RealTek Diag Tool. I did create a new vport group called VM Trunk with VLAN ID 4095 and tested a fresh VM with the VLAN ID. DHCP pulls in correctly. Static IP on this VLAN still has the same behavior.

Do I need to bring up a 2nd vSwitch on a unused NIC to work with the Trunk? Tried reading couple resources and this might be the solution but I am not sure yet. May put this point into the VMware forum on STH.

Last edited: