All my Samsung 500GB SSD 870 EVO failed (ECC-ERROR)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

studiox

Sep 17, 2023
So some time ago one of my 870 EVO drives failed, no big deal, they where in a Raid-5 setup and I just planned to replace it.
Fast forward to today my entire custom SAN died two weeks ago. Backups where good and actual data loss was minimal. But I moved all my SSD drives into a NetApp 24x2.5" JOBD enclosure and now my raid controller is showing them with ECC-ERRORs. If I run smartctl it's not pretty, they are all more or less dead.. I have 8 drives and only one is good.

I've read about the 4TB having firmware issues etc. more or less bricking them in 6 months but mine are 500GB. Trying to find info on samsung.com is almost impossible and warranty checker only works in the US (I'm in Europe)

The drives have warranty so no problem, it will just be a tuff sell to explain to the shop that all drives have died..

On top of this I have 16 250 GB 850 EVO drives, where S.M.A.R.T looks like they came from the factory (no error what so ever) - and they sat in the same SAN enclosure and on the same raid controller as the 500GB drives.

Not sure what's going on here. Anyone having issues with any 870 EVO <4TB in size? Can these be fixed with a FW upgrade?

studiox

Sep 17, 2023
Thanks. Google'fu failed on me. Seems I'm not alone here. will be a few warranty claims coming up and the drives will not be used.

mfarrow

Oct 15, 2023
Hi, I’m glad (ish) to find someone else with a failed 500GB version of these.

May I ask what the date code is? Mine is 06.2021 and the drive is Product of China.

The one that failed is installed as an HDD replacement on a printer replacement machine running Windows XP. Like you, I have others too but the purchaser goofed and ordered 250GB versions, which all seem fine.

It’s disappointing that a drive in a machine which is simply being used to read serial data on an isolated network can have so many issues: drive letter scrambling, database file corruption, chkdsk failures… the list goes on.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Ugh, I have 2x 2TB 870 EVO I was going to run in mirror setup in my desktop but after seeing

I'm not sure it's worth the risk :(

How can I tell if my new drives are affected? (Thus won't have SMART info, and I haven't opened them yet...)

It says mostly were earlier drives, but is this accurate? If I purchased in 2023, any risk?

director-kris

May 5, 2024
Hi, I’m glad (ish) to find someone else with a failed 500GB version of these.
I have two of these and both have now failed.
I purchased in November 2020 a Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-76E500) and a 1TB Samsung EVO 870 - Seperate purchases but around the same time, Samsung were running a deal on them.

I had my OS on the 500GB. This one failed first after about 1 year. It was weird how it failed. I usually have my PC on all the time, but the time it failed is when I turned my PC back on again after a short holiday.

Then I switched to using the 1TB SSD, loaded windows on that. Have been using it for another year or so and now that has failed too in the exact same circumstances. ie. My PC was off for a week, and it's already failed when I switch back on.

The really weird thing is, both drives are still "seen" by device manager in the Windows OS and reported as "working properly", yet no drive letters assigned and clearly dead attempting to access them.

There's clearly an issue with these. Will never buy a Samsung SSD again.

Last edited:

director-kris

May 5, 2024
I have two of these and both have now failed.

There's clearly an issue with these. Will never buy a Samsung SSD again.
After some further research online, I found this article which is rather interesting and seems to make some logical sense as to why mine stopped working after a short mini-break of the PC being off for a week...