Advantage to having a "faulted device" available while rebuilding ZFS pool?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

madison437

May 3, 2013
That is, does ZFS do anything with the faulted device? Or has the fact that it has now officially been classified as a "faulted" device mean it has given up on that device and is only rebuilding from the "online" devices?

In the official Oracle docs it mentions some degenerate cases whereby you'll be notified of what data is corrupted by issuing a "zpool status -v" -- perhaps this applies only for the NON-redundant zpool cases?

I'm trying to figure out if I should plan for my enclosure to have a hot spare, so that "more information" is available to the OS while rebuilding the array. If I don't use the hot-spare, and assuming I replace the correct drive in the array: does pulling out the "faulted" device and replacing it with the new drive BEFORE the rebuild wind-up reducing the possibility of a proper rebuild because less data is available to the OS?

Repairing Damaged Data (Solaris ZFS Administration Guide)

I've only had to replace about 4 or 5 drives, and I've done so on my server at home without using the hot-spare methodology. Since I'm reconfiguring, I thought I would revisit this topic.

Best,

-- madison437