About MCX354A crossflashing: connectx-3 OEM to stock and Connectx-3 PRO OEM to stock

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lihp

Jan 2, 2021
I went through the forum on crossflashing Mellanox cards. A few questions remain though:

1. Apparently Connectx-2/3 can be quite safely crossflashed. How can I know, which revision cant?
  2. Can a OEM Connectx-3 Pro be crossflashed to stock?
  3. Which is by now the "preferred guide", since there are apparently some by now from front article to foum in here? Is it still possible aka are the files still available?
TIA

Just asking to be safe before I am sorry ;)

lihp

Jan 2, 2021
PS: What is the difference between CX3 and CX3 Pro - I fail to see it it seems...

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
  1. Apparently Connectx-2/3 can be quite safely crossflashed. How can I know, which revision cant?
  2. Can a OEM Connectx-3 Pro be crossflashed to stock?
  3. Which is by now the "preferred guide", since there are apparently some by now from front article to foum in here? Is it still possible aka are the files still available?
1: I think there were some problems with a1 revisions of connect-x3, but from several purchases on ebay I never got one and always received at least a2 or newer revisions
2: yes, it's the same procedure just with different firmware files
3:
Code:
flint -d <device> -i mlnx_firmware.bin -allow_psid_change burn
the "allow_psid_change burn" is the most important part of the command, this will make a "stock" nic for the mellanox tools like mlxburn/mft etc.
For more inforamtion check this post: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ectx-3-en-with-stock-firmware.8689/post-80356
PS: What is the difference between CX3 and CX3 Pro - I fail to see it it seems...
- cx-3 pro support roce v2 (routable), cx-3 supports roce v1 only (limited to the local network/broadcast domain)
- cx3 pro seems to have a slightly newer asic/controller comnpared to the normal cx3[/code]

Edit 1: Fixed closing code tag
Edit 2: add link to another thread

lihp

Jan 2, 2021
1: I think there were some problems with a1 revisions of connect-x3, but from several purchases on ebay I never got one and always received at least a2 or newer revisions
2: yes, it's the same procedure just with different firmware files
3:
Code:
flint -d <device> -i mlnx_firmware.bin -allow_psid_change burn
the "allow_psid_change burn" is the most important part of the command, this will make a "stock" nic for the mellanox tools like mlxburn/mft etc.
For more inforamtion check this post: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ectx-3-en-with-stock-firmware.8689/post-80356

- cx-3 pro support roce v2 (routable), cx-3 supports roce v1 only (limited to the local network/broadcast domain)
- cx3 pro seems to have a slightly newer asic/controller comnpared to the normal cx3[/code]

Edit 1: Fixed closing code tag
Edit 2: add link to another thread
Thank you alot for the feedback. Ofc I will post any additional findings :)