58$ Asrock IMB 181 dual Intel LAN ITX socket 1150

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Oh man thank you for this, finally have something for my Lian Li PC-Q26.

Seems to support Xeon CPUs according to the cpu support list, imagine it accepts unbuffered ECC RAM as well.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Oh man thank you for this, finally have something for my Lian Li PC-Q26.

Seems to support Xeon CPUs according to the cpu support list, imagine it accepts unbuffered ECC RAM as well.
Sorry to say this, but I am fairly certain that you will not be able to use ECC RAM on a board with the Q87 chipset even with a Xeon CPU.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Sorry to say this, but I am fairly certain that you will not be able to use ECC RAM on a board with the Q87 chipset even with a Xeon CPU.
What does the chipset have to do with memory anymore with the memory controller on the cpu?

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
What does the chipset have to do with memory anymore with the memory controller on the cpu?
Apparently it is a restriction by Intel that ECC support is limited by the PCH, apparently desktop PCHs do not support ECC (source: Intel 4th gen core datasheet, section 2.1)
The type of the DIMM modules supported by the processor is dependent on the
PCH SKU in the target platform:
— Desktop PCH platforms support non-ECC UDIMMs only
— All In One platforms (AIO) support SO-DIMMs
My guess is that Intel does this to differentiate their "desktop" and "server" products

Reactions: Jon Massey

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Yeah, RTM is right. I already did some research about Q87 and ECC, read some posts on FreeNAS and Hardforums about how the mobo needs to have the tracing to support it which is not characteristic of the platform.

I would probably want ECC RAM for a white box firewall or router build so will pass for now.

svt3391

Feb 11, 2016
what is the cheapest xeon CPU to go with this?

Looking to build a UTM.
Xeon E3 1220 V3.
4 core, 4 thread.

However depending if the MB relies on the embedded vga for video output. If it does, then the cheapest would be Xeon E3 1225 V3. 4C/4T.