4TB RE SAS $139

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
um... no... it didn't. It still says $139. I even had a 10% off coupon so I only paid like $125.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
already bought one.
I am curious, what do people do when you purchase 1 of these drives?

They obviously are designed for large drive arrays. Do you use them in a desktop or something similar?

I'd love to find a deal on a good amount of RE drives for a ZFS volume, but all the deals only have a small handful worth of them.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I am curious, what do people do when you purchase 1 of these drives?

They obviously are designed for large drive arrays. Do you use them in a desktop or something similar?

I'd love to find a deal on a good amount of RE drives for a ZFS volume, but all the deals only have a small handful worth of them.
Not buy them.

If I need quantity I deal with sellers who have the quantity I need, or is a common part I can get # of from others via "Good deals" when they become available. Not everyone is in a rush so waiting a month to get 20 matching drives for 30% off isn't too bad ;)

I don't know about others here but I never buy "used" hard drives and put them into production, at all, ever. I may use 1 or 2 at home randomly but not part of any major systems. Over the years I've learned "time" is almost always more valuable to me.

The real problem I have with SAS drives is they're $$ new to replace, and much more abused/used 24/7 than SATA Enterprise drives it seems, and MUCH MUCH MUCH harder if not impossible to find deals of end-users/individual user usage sales like you can with SATA WD RE drives.

I'd love to run all SAS drives if I could find them regularly for good prices like the WD RE drives.
Would be great to find a batch of NOS SAS WD RE or RE4 even :)

The irony in the matter is I've used SAS drives 24/7 for ~4 years in production without problems, and also rented dedicated with god knows how many hour on them :D

Last edited:
Reactions: neo