2021 Server Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RickSanchaz

Jan 24, 2021
UK
Hi,

How is everyone?

Thank you for viewing and hopefully replying to my post :)
- Long time reader, first-time poster - Sorry! :(

I am about to undergo my five-year rebuild and I need your help :)

These are the parts that I will be using in my new build:

MONITOR: LG 34UC99-W 34" Ultrawide Monitor
CASE: Antec 1200
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT PULSE 8GB
HDD Cages: 2x Icy Dock MB155SP-B FatCage 5-in-3 SATA Internal Backplane Module
HDDs: 480GB SSD Docker & VM Drive & 40TB Of Data Storage
UPS: APC BR900GI 540 Watts /900 VA

Old Parts to upgrade:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230 v3,
MOBO: X10SLH-F
RAM: 16GB Kingston 8GB ECC KVR16E11/8
PSU: bequite 730W BQT L8-CM-730W

The current PSU is not powerful enough to boot the system with the HDD Cages/HDDs installed :(

Please, can you help me select my new parts for my new system? I really appreciate your help!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and for any help that you can give me and if it matters, I am based in the UK :)

Thanks!

RickSanchaz

Jan 24, 2021
UK
This server will be running the latest version of UnRAID if that helps, with two Windows VMs and a handful of dockers.

Thanks

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
What do you expect from your new build? Do you want anything more than NAS from UnRAID? Why do you put such a fat GPU in a server? There must be a use-case you did not mention yet.

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
From what I can gleam he probably want's to use it as a workstation too. The graphics card and monitor is probably for one of the windows VMs.
What is the use case, OS, budget, noise requirements?
Depending on your electricity prices and your budget/use case I'd advise against an all-in-one build. You can tune a pretty powerful NAS(4 HDDS, you have more I guess) well below 40 Watt, I doubt you can do that with a full blown workstation.

RickSanchaz

Jan 24, 2021
UK
From what I can gleam he probably want's to use it as a workstation too. The graphics card and monitor is probably for one of the windows VMs.
What is the use case, OS, budget, noise requirements?
Correct. General day-to-day tasks, web/graphics/android app design and video editing + light gaming :)

Depending on your electricity prices
Not worried about that.

and your budget
£600ish

I'd advise against an all-in-one build. You can tune a pretty powerful NAS(4 HDDS, you have more I guess) well below 40 Watt, I doubt you can do that with a full blown workstation.
I have over eight drives and I'm building an all in one - I have a backup machine.

Thanks, for your help.

RickSanchaz

Jan 24, 2021
UK
Thoughts?

CPU: Xeon E-2224G / Xeon E-2288G (Top of the line) / Xeon E-2278G
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S
MOBO: AsRock Rack E3C246D4U
RAM: 64GB Hynix ECC DDR4 RAM

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Isn't a chip like the Xeon E-2288G going to eat up a £600 budget all by itself? Even the E-2224G is £250 for a quad core, with the E3C246D4U being about the same price; unless you're buying s/h I think the E-2224G is as high as you can go with that spec whilst staying within your budget.

(Personally, I got tired of paying Intel's xeon tax and when I upgraded from the same 1230v3+X10SLH-F combo I went with an AMD chip which support ECC UDIMMs the same as the Xeon E series; an 8-core 3700X can be had for £300, the latest 5000 series 8-core is more in the £410 bracket but is substantially faster)

Reactions: MBastian