16 port managed switch $60 w/FS (Zyxel - Newegg)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

polyfractal

Apr 6, 2016
I got one of these last time they went on sale, it's been a good little switch. My homelab focus isn't really on networking, so a simple switch that just works and stays out of my way appealed to me. Supports the basic stuff that I need (VLANs, link aggregation, port mirroring, etc), the rackmount kit is sturdy and it runs cool.

By default only the Web UI is enabled (which is actually quite tolerable), but an enterprising individual found that you can enable telnet by modifying the config:
(or via UART if that's your jam).

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I really liked their Web GUI on my old Zyxel USG50 router, I haven't done any configurations to the Zyxel switch I use on my test bench, glad to know they're working @polyfractal

Savant

Mar 15, 2017
I've had 2 of these in my lab for the last few years. Had one fail out of nowhere. Was working on a project and went to get some food and someone messaged me that they couldn't get to Plex. Got home and one was dead as can be. RMA was easy enough and took about a week. Thankfully I had a spare ready to go. Loaded the backup config and was up and running in less than 10min.

Last edited:

ColPanic

Feb 14, 2016
ATX
Yeah. It was that guys YouTube review that sold me on it as I'd never heard of zyxel. But like others have said, for a basic managed switched its great. Fanless, rack mounted, internal psu for $60 can't be beat.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Bought one when was $55 with coupon months back.

I bookmarked these links:
Rooting a ZyXEL GS1900 series switch - jantore.net
Custom TLS key and certificate on Zyxel GS1900 series switch

getting root access is easy (I updated to the latest update last month, and the backdoor to get root access is still available).
getting access telnet is default on mine. I can access via telnet at the first-time running this.
setting DHCP or static IP takes extra steps since the box has default static IP.
It is running running linux 2.6.X...
you can run some quangga commands too (Quagga Software Routing Suite).
this seem this little box is running modified quangga opensource (on my quick test).

will get another one when the price is <=$55 again.