15.34TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSDs $1K?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
The other thing to do is see if one can find an old CD-ROM duplicator tower and retrofit that.
These guys have that type of thing but it's external sas. I wish I could find just the tower to roll my own.

Reactions: Samir

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
These guys have that type of thing but it's external sas. I wish I could find just the tower to roll my own.
Long time ago I've got this enclosure for a RAID array of SATA drives. Worked just fine: 8 bay SAS / SATA Bare 6G JBOD Tower w/SFF-8088 Connectors - B0806

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
This close enough? Duplicator Cases,DVD duplicator case. duplicator chasis

They also have what looks like a different design on ebay: CD Dvd Duplicator Copystars Tower Case 7 BAY SATA enclosure + Power supply 640841065143 | eBay

And just discovered this thing called a 'naked case' that's 9x 5.25" drive bays with power supply for $65:

The same company also seems to have cases just for drives: Naked Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Duplicator Cases - 3-18 Bay Options

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
This close enough? Duplicator Cases,DVD duplicator case. duplicator chasis

They also have what looks like a different design on ebay: CD Dvd Duplicator Copystars Tower Case 7 BAY SATA enclosure + Power supply 640841065143 | eBay

And just discovered this thing called a 'naked case' that's 9x 5.25" drive bays with power supply for $65:

The same company also seems to have cases just for drives: Naked Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Duplicator Cases - 3-18 Bay Options
Interesting.

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
WD's Velociraptors were 2.5" 10k HDDs, packaged into a big-ass heatsink of the size of a regular 3.5" drive.
Yeah. I've got a bunch of them. SSDs aside, fastest SATA HDDs afaik. Still have decent resale value. £45 is a price I've seen quoted but that UK eBay offer is probably overly ambitious.

I've got some that don't have the huge heatsink but they are placed next to intake fan.

I'm going to deprecate them in favour of SAS drives. My nephew can have RAID 10 for his Steam library.