10Gbit card for desktop

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
For copper FS.com Cisco SFP-10G-T-S Compatible 10GBASE-T SFP+ Transceiver Module - FS or the MikroTik S+RJ10; both are ~$65 USD assuming you get a copper card. i386 noted above that your switch does not appear to be picky about the modules. FS.com might be safer as it will be coded as a generic Cisco. I don't know what the MikroTik is coded as.

Your current switch doesn't support nBaseT, so a used enterprise 10G-BaseT card from eBay or Amazon is probably a better choice.

Going with a SFP card, and 2x FS.com Cisco SFP+ and 7-10m of OM4 MM fiber may cost a bit more (10-15 USD maybe?) than a copper solution in your case, but fiber cards and transceivers run cooler and draw less power. Many, not all, copper 10G cards either have active cooling are or designed to be in server rack chassis with high airflow.
Well, if the switch is not choosy about the modules and it doesn't do nBaseT, then get the generics, yes. Then it's the question of choosing singlemode versus multimode. Singlemode OS2 strands are not that expensive, and you can get generic 10GbE LR transceivers for like 30 each. You can also (in theory) reuse that OS2 fiber for 40/100/400 later on simply with a compatible switch + transceivers (although paying 3500 USD for a pair of 400GBit transceivers might be a too much).

tim_othy

Sep 18, 2017
Have a look here, https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/home-lab-moving-to-10gbe.16594/ - I've been running this setup for over 4 years.
I have exactly the same switch as you. 4 years down the line and I'm still a networking newbie, and I haven't gone beyond the 2 ports, it's just nice to know the extra 2 are there. There's a possibility I may use another of the ports in 2022 for a pro audio rig. I found fs.com to be really useful and helpful. Have fun!

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
The copper way was a bad idea. I'll just dig into the spagetti going around, lol.
I can't find any good source of the Mellanox MCX311A cards though. I don't trust the chinese sellers and around five sets of photos being recycled all over Ebay.